Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Default check-out brake pads on 189FBR

Hi--We just purchased a 2005 T189FBR generally in excellent shape--however I did just have to put a new converter in it.
I just registered it and the elect. brakes are working fine--but I want to check the condition of the pads --before taking off for a long haul in a few weeks. I have done many brake jobs on cars/trucks but never on a trailer.
I took a wheel off and removed the rubber insert covering a greasing nipple.
I just don't want to break anything---any pointers on removing the hub would
be great. I'd rather replace the pads now if they're fairly well worn --rather
than several hundred miles from home-- any experience out there on this?
Thanks-----I'll check in later as I want to take a bike ride now to check out some habitat.

habitatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #2

Could fill up pages on the process, but, for ease and future reference...and lest I forget, welcome to the FunFinder family and forum!

That rubber cap covers the E-Z Lube zerk. If you pull of the hub cover (the rubber cap inserts in the face of it), the hub removes just like a "regular" hub; you'll find a hub nut, etc.). Nothing "magical" or "different" on trailer brakes...the only difference is the magnetic puck used for actuation instead of a hydraulic slave cylinder. Operation and layout is the same as brake pad assemblies on a car.

Your running gear should be of Dexter manufacture and you can find a wealth of information (diagrams, parts #s, troubleshooting information, etc) on their website:

Dexter Axle and Brake Information

Anything and everything you would want to know about the Dexter axles and brakes! You can peruse and download anything that you might need to keep your FunFinder "rolling along".

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote