Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Default Chocks

I am waiting on delivery of my 2nd Fun Finder, first with double axle - a 189FDS

Can I get away with using the yellow chocks, or do you think I need to get something like the X-chocks? That's a hundred bucks I don't want to spend...

Old 04-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

I use the yellow chalks on my XT 276. They work great for me.

Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Site Team

I use the yellow plasic chocks on my X210 & they work fine. You should be fine with them on your 189.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

Default Chocks

No problem using yellow chocks for double axle, good exercise time bending over to put chocks in & to pull out. have a fun time with your funfinder.
sc225rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #5

The ground plane style chocks will work just fine. However, if you want to add some stability (less bouncing) when you walk around the trailer, try the "X" style chocks that go between the tires and push outward. By locking the two wheels together, the trailer will move less on its suspension and reduce the bounce when moving around in the trailer. I started using them eons ago (when they were first introduced) and they are the only chocks I carry now. Pricey, yes, but, well worth the cost and if you keep your eye on places that sell them, you can catch them on sale for a good bit less than normal pricing.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Depends on your camping area. If it's dead flat/paved? I think yellow chocks are okay.

At one event I went to I was parked on a grassy area that had a slight downhill to it. I had chocks in place, but as soon as I unhitched and the weight went onto the wheels and chocks, it started moving downhill, with the chocks sliding on the slightly wet grass. Fortunately, I got it stopped before it made too much downhill progress. (The next stop would have been a chain link fence.)

Another caveat would be if you're up on leveling blocks. The chocks don't work so well there. I had a heavy (and boisterous) friend of mine jump into my trailer once while we were in a campground. It rolled off the blocks and scared the crap out of both of us.

I now use the X-Chocks pretty much any time I think I need the extra security, and tighten them up pretty snugly.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

I have never used the plastic yellow chocks.

I bought the X chocks right away and that is all I've ever used.

Although I did see some black rubber caulks like the yellow plastic ones at a store the other day....but they were $25 each and quite heavy.

I like my X chocks between the tires as they give a positive lock and never slip!

These:
Made by Camco.....
Place between your tandem tires to prevent both forward and backward movement while parked or rehitching. Wheel Stop installs easily between tires, stabilizing your trailer with one piece of equipment. Designed to fit 26" to 30" diameter tires with tire spacing of 1-1/2" to 3-1/2".