Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Default Cold Weather Camping 210 uds 210uds

Thought I would pass on an incident we had with freezing weather in our RV.

We traveled to the plains of Colorado last April and an unexpected temperature drop and snow greeted us. 17 degrees at night. Windy too.

Underneath our fridge are a lot of water lines. We removed the access cover to find it was freezing under there.

We put a heater facing there and left all the kitchen cabinets slightly ajar. This kept the water lines from freezing. We also kept the rv park water hose disconnected.

On top of this, the propane heater wasn't working, we found out when we returned home there was a spider web in the line.

We were very cozy with just little heaters. These heaters are kept in our unit at all times now in case of another situation like that.

Another option would be to use a high rated extension* cord with the cord through the side of the slide and use the park power instead of the trailer wall plugs. (*10 gauge 25 ft cord for up to 20 amps)

When we returned home Mike installed a vent under the fridge that opened and closed for easy airflow access.

"Pelonic Classic" Ceramic Heater. Covers up to 13x20 foot area. Draws about 12.5 amps 1000-1500 Watt SMALL 7" tall but very effective. Safety tipover shutoff. We keep two in the RV.

"MyHeat" Ceramic Heater small areas only . Draws about 1.5-2 amps. 200 watt 6.1" tall. Over-heat protection and cool-touch housing. Great for the bathroom floor. No tip over protection though. On off switch only. We use only when we are in the trailer. We keep two in the RV

Hope this info helps someone.

mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to rustycon
Default Excellent Ideas

Excellent ideas on protecting and using alternative heat. I recently picked up a 210UDS. Are the tanks in a heated area? Also noticed 2 drains line on RH rear that appear likely to freeze quickly. I am still in process of discovering how this unit was put together. I had asked for layout diagram but was told nothing was available.

rustycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Default Re: Excellent Ideas

The tanks are mounted underneath the trailer. There is a rigid protective sheet of coroplast on the underbelly under the tanks. I don't think it was designed to be totally enclosed, simply a guard for the tanks lines etc. from the elements and stones. The literature for FF said it has the Darco wrap under there also. (A black fabric)
The coroplast is attached with bolts spaced far apart on the frame. The area isn't heated per se, it's radiant heat from the trailer itself I believe.
We too are learning as we go about the internal workings. Not sure about the drains line on RH rear .
We do know it's really risky to use the trailer in freezing weather without several "plan b's" in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycon
Excellent ideas on protecting and using alternative heat. I recently picked up a 210UDS. Are the tanks in a heated area? Also noticed 2 drains line on RH rear that appear likely to freeze quickly. I am still in process of discovering how this unit was put together. I had asked for layout diagram but was told nothing was available.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rustycon
Default Something I found on my UDS

Noticed my TV pull out box was getting hard to move easily. Upon inspection. I found that the lower box slide rail was not even installed in the stationary rail. After measuring, I found they were installed at 2 different dimensions thereby not allowing both of them to properly support the TV box. Just a heads up for you.
rustycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Default Re: Something I found on my UDS

Thank you, will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycon
Noticed my TV pull out box was getting hard to move easily. Upon inspection. I found that the lower box slide rail was not even installed in the stationary rail. After measuring, I found they were installed at 2 different dimensions thereby not allowing both of them to properly support the TV box. Just a heads up for you.