Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

Default Considering a 2008 189FBS , known issues??

Hello, this is my first post. So glad I found this group. I am considering purchasing a 2008 Fun Finder 189FBS. Any specific areas I should pay close attention to? Any possible issues? Any suggestions? Any areas for potential problems? Any and all replies appreciated. Good and bad.

Thank you
Debbie.

Barisad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Team

trailers aren't like cars in the sense of a particular model year had a problem with the transmission or brakes for example. The most important thing to look for is how well has it been kept up. Here's link to a (somewhat generic) checklist to help:

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/Checkli...ying-a-RV.html

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #3

We have the same TT as you, which we purchased end of last summer. So it is a NU...newused to us too. We have taken it out several times w/o any problems...oh wait...once we couldn't get the slide in. Hubby did it manually, somewhere under the couch. He used a long handle socket wrench and I pushed from the outside. Got it in, when we got home Hubby took switch off the wall, looked at the wiring, put it back on...and viola, no further problem.
We absolutely love it, perfect for just the 2 of us, and the Grandkids if they want. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Oh, could you measure the lenth of the window in the lvg.rm area and the two at the bed area(not front)for me? Ours is in winter storage right now, and I want to make curtains for it.
Nana2cuties
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #4

Default What to look for

We had the following problems with our similar 2007 189 FD (sold it and got a 2012 189 FBS).
Check the roof with a ladder and look to see if the weight of the A/C unit has caused the roof to sink sufficiently to cause water to pool around the unit (bad). Check the roof seal where the one-piece sheet vinyl roof joins the fiberglass front cap. Our seal split open and caused a rain leak. Lay a straight edge across the trailer roof at this same point to check if it has become "swaybacked". I think such roof structure problems became so bad that Cruiser was forced to finally begin making roofs like many companies have been doing for years. Starting around 2012 the FF X got a crowned roof that is considerably more rigid and, of course, the crowning eliminates the pooling problem. As many wise forum members have advised, always regularly check exterior seals especially those in the roof and leading edge areas. Otherwise, it was a great trailer which we thoroughly enjoyed.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. Over the years we have had a few motor homes and travel trailers. Our last travel trailer, parked in a campground was damaged over the winter by a small twig. The twig fell and punctured the roof. In just the few short months until they reopened the campground the water had wicked under the rubber roof and cause severe damage. Good thing our insurance covered the damage.

You're offer some really great tips and methods for checking the roof, seams and joints. Thank you again

Debbie
Barisad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

Default 2008 fx 189 fbs

We bought a 2008 189 fbs in 2010 and have had no issues with it. I did reseal the roof although there were no leaks. I am 6' 4" and find the bed very comforable and even find the shower usable. Plenty of storage and it tows very well behind our our F-150 although we also use our Hyundi Santa Fe if we wnat to get a little better gas milage. The 7 foot width does not require the use of extendable mirrors.

14 NRS RAft
montanacamper is offline   Reply With Quote