Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

Default Diamond Plate Question

My 230DS has diamond plate across the bottom front of the trailer. Apparently, it was not stapled on one side. I don't have a high power staple gun. What would you recommend that I use to attach it?

qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #2

Not really sure... The diamond plate on the front (and the sides, too) on my 210WBS is apparently glued up to the trailer with, what appears to be, trim strips that are most likely screwed/glued and then, themselves sealed with sealant to prevent water incursion behind the trim strips. I have no apparent staples or screws in any of the edges. The trim strips are most likely the type used in the auto industry...a base that is screwed and glued down and then a half round snapped into a retainer system. The only "free edge" on the diamond plate is the bottom edge; it is bent back and there are screws into a tack strip on the lower edge of the trailer.

The only edge that I could see coming loose or not attached at the factory should be that lower edge...the screws in mine are short (~3/4") phillips heads, maybe a size 6, definitely not an 8. There should be a wood backing strip that these would go into after bending the lower edge back (the screws go up from the bottom edge under the trailer). I would be very leary of using staples...very difficult to get the holes from a power stapler to seal up against water seepage, or do it in an attractive manner anyway.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #3

Thanks webslave, I need to get up under there next weekend and give it a good look.
qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
TCP

Default Re: Diamond Plate Question

The holding power of RTV silicone is quite good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTV_silicone

I would use it under the plate, then make sure it adheres with pressure on the plate, pushing it towards the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtla9111
My 230DS has diamond plate across the bottom front of the trailer. Apparently, it was not stapled on one side. I don't have a high power staple gun. What would you recommend that I use to attach it?
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote