Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Do you carry a ladder in your RV?

If your RV is NOT equipped with an exterior ladder ~

Do you carry a ladder in your RV?

Why or why not?

Old 09-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #2

When I had my 210WBS, I always carried a ladder. If I had to get on the roof to initiate temporary repairs on the TV antenna, access the A/C drain pan (they do clog and then they drain inside...) or just to clear the slide roof after an extended stay, then the ladder was indispensable. I carried one of the compact telescoping ladders. I had one at the house that I used all the time (very handy, easy to carry and very versatile).

This is what I carried:

Telescoping Ladder

Very compact, fit in the back of the tow vehicles I used (Jeep Hemi Commander and then a RAM 2500 CTD LongHorn). My new trailer has a ladder on the back, so, I don't carry it any more since I can get on the roof using it.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

I carry the same ladder for the same reasons, but the 8' version. Heavy little bugger.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Yes, if I had bought one for use on the trailer only, I'd have opted for a shorter one, but, I'd probably have gone with a 10' model. I already owned the 12.5' model for use around the homestead, so, it got additional use with the trailer. They are a tad heavy, but, collapsing like they do, certainly makes it much easier to store than a full sized ladder. With my 5er, I carry a 7' folding step ladder that I use for cleaning the nose cone of bugs or washing the side windows. It is one of those that folds up so tight that I carry it inside the rear bumper. Nice ladder, but, not tall enough to get on the roof, though.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #5

+1 on the telescoping ladder. We keep one with us and had to use it when a branch came down in a storm and tore the rubber roof. Good thing we had a ladder and and some eternabond tape with us.
Bill & Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #6

I looked at those telescoping ones, but decided to go with "Werner MT-13 300# 13' telescoping multi-ladder" instead. Got it Home Depot for $95+tax, so it's actually less expensive than the telescoping ones. Also, I don't think the telescoping ones are as safe; I read several comments where they broke. This doesn't collapse as small, but we usually just put it in the back of our SUV. It's small, just probably not as small as the telescoping one. But it is way more versatile. Check out Werner's product video. The MT-13 is rated at 300#; the telescoping one at 225#. How can I say this...we feel safer with the 300# one. Also, it is very versatile. We normally leave it set up as a 6.5' step ladder, so we can get up to clear off the slideout without putting a ladder in contact with the trailer. But if we need an extension ladder, it'll make a 13' one. Yet it collapses down to less than 4' long. Light weight enough to be handy. We could fit it in our basement, but it would be a little awkward and we have plenty of room in back of SUV. If I had to store it in basement, I would.
Kevin & Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #7

Well, I needed a ladder around the house so I wouldn't have to lug out my big one ~ plus considering what others have said here decided I should find one that would suffice in either circumstance.

This one fit the bill for both options.

http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-...apsible+ladder

Plus saved another few $$ by signing up for their credit card so only cost me $55 shipping included.

The camper is put away for the winter but have used it several times around the house. It does the job perfectly, is sturdy and easy to operate too. I'm happy!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

I had a conventional small aluminum ladder at home and found that it fit with no problems in the huge "basement" of the FF 214. The trailer has a factory equiped rear ladder for roof access but I still carry the small ladder to clean the slide-out roof as well as clean and lubricate the slide-out seals. I feel more confident on it than I do walking around on the roof (not fond of heights)