Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 06:07 AM   #21

Those Reverse Osmosis systems are just great as have one in the house too.

The treated city water here (safe to drink) is from a lake/creek source so often has a queer aroma/taste and running it thru the whole house water softener and then the RO system for drinking water is the solution.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Hi Twinster2,
When you sanitize your system, be sure to take the amode out of the HW Heater before you sanitize and then reinstall after you have rinsed the system the last time. During the clorox flush, be sure to run enough water through all faucets to smell clorox at the respective faucet and shower and then let the system set for several hours before flushing the entire system with clean water several times, including all faucets and hoses. I left the anode in my first flush several years ago, it turned black and tainted the entire water system... I removed the old anode, re-flushed the system from start to finish, replaced the anode and final filled the tank... I use a filter at the hose during the fill and if connected to city water, and my water tastes fine... I also sanitize after and long period of nonuse... over winter, if it sets for more than a couple months, etc.
Good luck,
Good post John. Nice to see your comment on here. Residential water heaters are generally glass lined I believe. So what is the sacrificial anode protecting. I was always told it was the inside of the tank, preventing it from corrosion. Are RV water heaters also lined with glass? Or what are they lined with. As I mentioned before, some people remove the anode entirely when they get that rotten egg odor in their water. Our new old trailer actually does not have one installed. It just has a plug. And the water has no smell or bad taste at all. It looks like the original as far as we can tell.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #23
Site Team

No the RV water heaters aren't glass lined, or lined at all. I'd guess that a glass lining wouldn't stand up to all the bouncing around while towing. So the sacrificial anode keeps the metal tank from rusting.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
No the RV water heaters aren't glass lined, or lined at all. I'd guess that a glass lining wouldn't stand up to all the bouncing around while towing. So the sacrificial anode keeps the metal tank from rusting.
But why do residential water heaters have them when they are glass lined? We flushed the water heater in our FF and in this Shasta and all that you see is white debris and not much of it. No iron rust.
Edit: researched subject. The glass eventually cracks. We should insert a new one in our RV heater.
"Most water heater tanks are steel with a thin glass lining to protect the metal from corrosion. Since the lining eventually cracks, tanks have a second line of defense against rust: a long metal “anode rod” that attracts corrosive elements in the water. When the rod itself becomes so corroded that it can no longer do its job, the tank soon rusts out, leaks and needs replacement. However, if you replace your anode rod before it fails, about every five years, you can double the life of your water heater."

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote