Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Default Dual propane tanks issue

Hi,
I'm new to rv and I'm looking for some help on a propane issue that we experienced on our last camping trip. We recently bought a 2010 Shadow Cruiser, it has dual propane tanks connected to a tee then in a regulator (Fairview GC-9950). We did only open the valve on the passenger side tank for the first trips and everything works well. On our last camping trip, the fridge fails, I tought that the tank was empty, so I shut the valve on the tank we were using and I opened the valve on the second (full) tank. There was no gas flow. I re-open the passenger side tank valve and I heard the fridge lit up. I'm wondering why can I use only the passenger side tank and not only the driver side tank???
When back home, I realize that the passenger side tank wasn't empty! According to its weight, it seems to be half filled. Why can't I use it until empty without opening the valve of the passenger side tank??

Is this normal?
If not, what would be faulty?
Thanks for any help.

anctil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #2

When switching propane tanks from left to right, you have to turn the handle on the regulator too.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

Yup, there's a "supply" lever on mine that I need to point towards the tank I want to use, as well as ensure the tank is open.
Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

I don't have a handle on the regulator to switch tank, since they are not connected individually to the regulator. They are connected to a tee prior the regulator, which is the only intake to the regulator.
anctil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by anctil
I don't have a handle on the regulator to switch tank, since they are not connected individually to the regulator. They are connected to a tee prior the regulator, which is the only intake to the regulator.
In that case it sounds like you will have to open / close the valves on the individual tanks.

The regulator could also be bad or in need of adjustment. Any propane equipment dealer should be able to adjust it. Or you could just buy a new one. They aren't that expensive.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

That trailer is new enough that it came from the factory with an automatic switch over regulator. There are several models being used and I would suggest that you go to a few RV Parts Suppliers on the web and look at the various styles. Some sites even operating instructions for the various models. I won't suggest any one site; any of them will have auto switch over regulators...

If you don't have an auto switch regulator (and you should) that means that the previous owner's regulator died and he took the cheap way out and re-plumbed the unit. If that is the case, you could be having a whole host of problems, depending on how he did it and how well he did it, from two tanks supplying too much pressure to the regulator and locking it, to the POL devices on the two tanks sensing too much back pressure and locking the individual POLs or even a sloppy job and he has piece of thread sealant (tape or paste) clogging the orifice in the regulator. From your description though (one tank worked, eventually, but, the other never did), I suspect you do have an auto switch over, but, don't know how to make it switch over. Those devices are designed to allow for both tanks to be open, but, won't feed gas from the second one while there is any pressure in the first one; and that is the one that has a "lever" pointed at it. That lever can be big, can be small, but there should be one and the give away is if the regulator has a "window" on it that shows a color; red indicates the tank the "lever" is pointing to is empty, green indicates the tank the "lever" is pointing to has gas. If your regulator has a colored window, square, round, behind a lens, not behind a lens, then it is an automatic switch over. As for why your system didn't work initially when you opened the valve, it could be that you opened the valve too quickly; you have to open it slowly, otherwise the POL will think there is a leak and it will shut down the tank until it bleeds off (that is probably why it worked on the second try).

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote