Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

Default Duotherm Brisk Air A/C

My T-139 has the standard Brisk Air that has the fan running constantly and the compressor cycling ON/OFF to control comfort level.

This drives me nuts....... can hardly sleep.....

I am used to Motorhomes with thermostat controlled A/C. Can this be swapped on the FF ? Does anyone have a thermo controlled A/C ? What is it ???? I want one............. Don

Dontexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #2

There's two ways to go...

Replace the entire A/C unit and thermostat along with the wiring with a top of the line residential styled unit...

See if you can re-wire the current unit for a new thermostat that controls the entire unit from a wall thermostat just like the furnace.

I've seen your post on another forum...you can do a search there for "Thermostat Controls" (and some variants) to see what has been done with gaining thermostat control of the entire unit. I believe I've seen a few posts where it was done using a Hunter branded thermostat. I'm not that interested in that mod, so I, personally, haven't looked into it. My wife actually likes the "white noise" that the A/C provides. Even when RVing in the cool spring and fall periods, she'll have the fan on just to have the noise and air movement. In our sticks and bricks, we have a ceiling fan over the bed that runs year round for the same reason...white noise and air movement. Years ago, it used to bother me, but, after 41 years, I've gotten used to it; fortunately, I can fall asleep anytime, anywhere in about 5 minutes and sleep through anything. Really annoys her (very light sleeper and borderline insomniac)

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #3

Don, This particular unit does not have an external thermostat.

I too like some "white noise" but the camper has about 12.5 feet of interior space. A/c noise can be a little overpowering. You just can't get away from it.

I would like to find a small unit that is thermostrat equipped . Thanks, Don M.
Dontexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

Don, I'll be watching this to see what you come up with..I do seem to remember someone over in Lightweightcamperforum installing a thermostat...

I too have the 139 and the noise from the AC drives me nuts...

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #5

I recall seeing somewhere where someone had figured out how to install a wall thermostat that controlled the entire unit... Required the thermostat (of course) and 120v control relay which was controlled by the new thermostat. Required some rewiring of the input voltage wiring to the Brisk Air such that the thermostat told the relay when to "turn on" and the relay then switched the input power to the Brisk Air to "on" (much the same as turning the Brisk Air's power switch to "on"). You would also need a 12v line for the thermostat itself. It is doable and I can picture in my mind how I would go about it, but...

As I mentioned, I didn't pay much attention to the "how to". It would annoy me more to have that noisy unit kick on and off during the day and night...at least while it is "on" all the time, it becomes just a constant drone as opposed to an "on and off" interrupting noise in the middle of the night... The TT is insulated, but, not so well that the cycling on and off wouldn't be rather frequent...and as opposed to a big motor home or your house, the unit is right above your head; much more noticeable when kicking on after an off period ("off" period, I believe, would be rather short).

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote