Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Default Electric heater which works!

In my quest to minimize the expenditure of propane gas I have tried several electric heaters but most were glorified hair dryers and had the disadvantage of producing very hot air which could cause a burn or harm the trailer. My latest try is an electric oil filled radiator by DeLonghi. It has two independent power ranges of 700 and 800 watts, which means it consumes 1500 watts when both are active. It has a thermostat that seems easy to adjust although it has no temperature markings. It has kept us warm at half power in Oregon and Washington. Now in Idaho and Utah we have started using the full 1500 watt setting at night. My wife and I both like the radiant heat and it has certainly minimized the use of propane. FYI the model number of mine is TRH0715-6A and I was able to purchase a return on Amazon which was in excellent condition for about half price.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #2

I agree. One of those heaters would be perfect. I use two at home. If my camper was bigger I would use one in it. Instead I use a small 1500 watt ceramic heater. If the propane one wasn't so noisy I would use that. It heats the camper much faster. I do use the propane when dry camping.

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

A 1500 watt ceramic heater is what I use. Keeps the trailer nice and warm through the late fall. At night I sit it on the table and during the day is is on the floor.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

I used ceramic heaters until we went full time. They are noisy and turn on and off all the time. We bought an inexpensive Oil Filled Radiator Heater at Walmart (they are still under $40 today) It came in black or white, and has a variable thermostat and 3 different wattage settings, 600, 900 and 1500. We usually are able to heat our small camper with the lowest setting. It takes up more room, but the advantages are good. It's quiet and it seems to heat more evenly than the ceramic one did.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #5

I've used a few different heaters, and finally settled on using two of these. They are extremely quiet, and since they are low wattage, they just run constantly rather than clicking on and off all night. Keep one in the bathroom, and one on the kitchen counter. Super happy with them. Each is 200W, and have a small (quiet) computer fan. Easy to store, and they don't take up much room. I shortened the cord down to 18 inches on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyH...0399788&sr=8-4

Our oil filled heater exploded and sprayed oil everywhere. Our ceramic heater is noisy and too powerful, it turns on for 2 minutes, then off for 30, the constant cycling keeps me up at night.
etischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by etischer View Post
I've used a few different heaters, and finally settled on using two of these. They are extremely quiet, and since they are low wattage, they just run constantly rather than clicking on and off all night. Keep one in the bathroom, and one on the kitchen counter. Super happy with them. Each is 200W, and have a small (quiet) computer fan. Easy to store, and they don't take up much room. I shortened the cord down to 18 inches on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyH...0399788&sr=8-4

Our oil filled heater exploded and sprayed oil everywhere. Our ceramic heater is noisy and too powerful, it turns on for 2 minutes, then off for 30, the constant cycling keeps me up at night.
Your camper must be small for two of those to work. I have one and it can barley heat up under my desk.

I wish the built in heater was quieter. I set it at 70° and it keep the camper nice and warm. Turns on about 5 minutes every 30 or so. The fan wakes me up every time it turns on. During the day I do not mind.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:14 AM   #7

My Fun Finder came with a nice furnace that heats just fine.

I don't have a need to haul along extra electric heaters.

However, to each their own.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
My Fun Finder came with a nice furnace that heats just fine.

I don't have a need to haul along extra electric heaters.

However, to each their own.

As does mine. I use it all the time because I dry cam a lot. However it is really noisy. so if i have electricity I use a quiet electric heater.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #9

We have used the same upright oil-filled radiator for nearly 20 years. (700watt low, 800watt medium, combining for 1500watt high, with 1-10 dial thermostat) And with no moving parts, it's as quiet as can be, only clicking occasionally when the thermostat kicks on and off. We used it in our 28ft Prowler and now in our 210UDS and have never been disappointed. We're not full-timers, so at times it has helped extend our two 30lb LP tanks through multiple seasons. And yes, it helps to keep the bathroom door open a just a crack (forgive the pun) - unless you crave that old timey middle-of-the-night outhouse experience. Hey, if the site comes with electricity, I'm not gonna burn my precious propane.
jimplumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

We use the furnace but to compensate for the on/off cycling, I turn on the vent fan over the bed with the vent closed. White noise for sleeping and don't notice the furnace cycle.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #11

I installed a remote controlled tilting, 3 speed, oscillating wall fan on the wall at the foot of the bed for air circulation inside the camper. Purchased at Menards/Home Depot maybe 3 or 4 years ago for around $35. On low, it's super, super quiet!

Works wonderful to move air around inside the camper when hot, when furnace on or just to provide air circulation without having a vent or window open.

Although not the same brand, it is very similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N3G2SM...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Old 10-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimplumley View Post
We have used the same upright oil-filled radiator for nearly 20 years. (700watt low, 800watt medium, combining for 1500watt high, with 1-10 dial thermostat) And with no moving parts, it's as quiet as can be, only clicking occasionally when the thermostat kicks on and off. We used it in our 28ft Prowler and now in our 210UDS and have never been disappointed. We're not full-timers, so at times it has helped extend our two 30lb LP tanks through multiple seasons. And yes, it helps to keep the bathroom door open a just a crack (forgive the pun) - unless you crave that old timey middle-of-the-night outhouse experience. Hey, if the site comes with electricity, I'm not gonna burn my precious propane.
I have two of the oil-filled radiator type heaters that I use during the cooler seasons in the "cooler" areas in my home. I do like that they are virtually noiseless and provide even heat! I've not really considered using one in my X210 mainly due to the size issue but also because of its high center of gravity. It tips fairly easily. It's not a huge issue but it's quite a bit heavier than the 1500W space heater that I currently use. That heater is "older" i.e. no ceramic element but still does a nice job! The fan is quiet, it's thermostatically controlled, has a "high" and "low" switch AND has an auto-off feature that cuts the power if the unit tips over! Nice safety feature .
In about a week I'm not going to worry about heating the camper for at least six months. If we have an early melt (hope,hope,hope but not likely), I may have to use the heater on the first few camping trips.
To finish up here, like Mr. jimplumley, I prefer to conserve my propane. My two 30# tanks last a very long time running the water heater and the range for bacon and eggs for breakfast!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #13

MAJOR IMPROVEMENT to oil-filled radiator! I purchased a cheapy 10 inch box fan and positioned it a couple of feet away from the oil-filled radiator so that the air flows through the fins. This greatly improves the heart transfer compared to the normal convection air currents and I estimate the total heat coming from the radiator is 2-3 better! The box fan has 3 speeds and consumes only 38 Watts on High. The Medium speed is sufficient and the noise is barely perceptible.
Attached Thumbnails
20191029_111030.jpg   20191029_111052.jpg