Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #1

Default Eternabond tape - which one???

Hi there,

I am a newbie to this forumand to travel trailers...Just bought a 2006 FF 189 FBR (aluminum). Of course, there is water damage up front. We have our wonderful handyman standing by to fix, but am trying to gather the correct supplies first.

We will be pulling off the inner wall first, to assess damage - I think the entire front will need to be replaced.

We want to reseal the front window and running lights, the roof seams, front seams, put some kind of flashing over the front window to steer water away from pooling in the front, and we also are going to drill more weep holes...
Oh and we will re-caulk around everything.

I cannot figure out WHICH of the Eternabond products we should buy, and how much and no idea what sort of caulk to use. The handyman is used to working with silicone caulk, but I have read that is not recommended for RVs???

Anything else I should do while the trailer is under repairs?

Thanks and sorry if this question has been asked - I scoured the forums but couldn't really find a complete answer.

Oh, and even though it has this problem, I still like my FF It is a great improvement over a leaky tent and 4 wet dogs inside

fionaqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

Default eternabond etc

I've read around a bit and what is highly recommended on the rubber roof tops (not sides) is Dicor lap sealant. Eternabond is supposed to be awesome, but I've resisted it because I've heard it's very hard to get off. I've read that some people NEVER had another leak again after using the Eternabond.

The Dicor needs to be repeatedly monitored and occasionally stripped off and reapplied.

Anyway, there's enough info out there on the Eternabond website and/or a reputable RV dealership can point you in the right direction re. the proper size and application. They can also tell you what to use down the side seams. I continually have my roof checked--you should too. If you're handy, get up there and check out the roof every now and then. You have to apply that Dicor properly too, of course!