Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Exploding Window

Yes, my galley window exploded. Loud boom then millions of pieces of glass everywhere - both inside and out. Just when I was starting to love my little Fun Finder again! I had two friends over for dinner, and I had gone in to start dishes. Went to open the window, then BOOM. Made my friends jump!

Luckily, I was going to visit with George the next day. He came to my rescue with plastic, clear Gorilla tape, and a shop vac. He also filled (and showed me how) the water in my truck and trailer battery and also showed me how to properly use jumper cables. And other stuff.

So, watch out for exploding windows! My dealer said he had never heard of that before. Lucky - it was tempered glass.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #2

What the heck?? That is bizarre. Were you pushing the window open when it shattered? Was there any resistance as you pushed? If this was just a random event, it sounds like a manufacturing defect. Could it be that the window frame was tweaked so that it was not all in the same plane? Wracking or torque can sometimes cause glass to shatter catastrophically.

Wow. Hang in there. Let us know what you find out.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #3

When strange things like that happen, I always blame the ALIENS....and am still waiting for them to deny any involvement.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #4

That is crazy that the window just exploded , glad no one got hurt ! I wonder if the framing is off or tweaked or bend putting a lot of force on the window frame ? Bad weld , bad frame , something came apart in the framing ? And put all that force on the frame to make that happened ?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #5

If that was the window removed to replace fridge bet they reinstalled with a small twist. This puts the window under stress and tempered glass doesn't like that. Just a thought.
jtwcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwcummins
If that was the window removed to replace fridge bet they reinstalled with a small twist. This puts the window under stress and tempered glass doesn't like that. Just a thought.
Best theory so far.
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #7

It's opposite the fridge. It's VERY tight to slide open and I asked the tech when the trailer was new how to move/remove the screen - it was that tight. He tried (big, burly guy) and he couldn't move the screen, either. Said he didn't know and left it at that. It has been askew since the beginning, but I have no proof that it should be covered under warranty. And actually Cruiser said that they don't warranty windows AFTER delivery to the customer.

I'm going to have them replace it with plexiglass. I don't care about tinting at that window.

So, since the entertaining explosion, nothing else has gone awry. Go figure! I guess I should count my trailer blessings!!!

But, oh, this BLM forest in Idaho - so beautiful and quiet...got my little solar panel charging an extra battery. Used the Honda eu1000i to charge trailer battery yesterday. Life is good out in the forest. Tonight, first time this trip - I'm cooking over the open fire in a Dutch Oven. Add to that a glass of wine and one might think I had died and gone to Heaven.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:18 AM   #8

Great to hear that you are back on track! I am looking forward to more photos of Idaho -- it's on our list, for sure. Are you going to visit the Sawtooths?
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #9

Wow Michelle, that would give you a moment! None of our windows are really tight to move so hopefully I won't have "the big one" while trying to get some air! Really nice country up there. We are heading to Prizer Point on Lake Barkley in July for the first of what may become the family camping outing. The kids, SILs, and grandkids for 4 days although the kids rented a condo there. Still thinking we'll need a vacation from the vacation, but should be a great time. Sometimes miss the trips we took when our kids were small.

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L w/towing package
dhyravy is offline   Reply With Quote