Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #1

Default F-265RBSS (2013) Paint defect on front cap

Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone has an issue with the clear coat application on the front cap of their 2013 F-265RBSS or any other cruiser for that matter? I absolutely love my TT but I am now in a battle with Cruiser over this issue. I bought the TT March, 2013. I waxed it in the summer and Nov, 2013 I covered it for the winter. I recommended this brand to a friend, who purchased a 2013 F-215WSK in March, 2014. In April, 2014 I uncovered the TT and noticed the top area of the front cap looked faded. I wasn't sure if it was a defect or if it needed another waxing. Unfortunately, I had to wait for help with the waxing and it is confirmed that it is a defect. It is actually powdery to the touch now.
To add to this, my friend's camper is showing the same issue! Cruiser has told me that the caps are made by a separate business. They also told me the business is a not so reputable business and explained that their hands are tied to this business because there aren't many businesses that do that type of work. My one year warranty was up March, 2014...while it was still under a cover. They are leaning on the "out of warranty" excuse instead of lets make this customer happy because we know it's a defect made by a shoddy business.
I'm extremely frustrated and would like any feedback from anyone that might be dealing with this same problem.
Thank you.

Beeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #2

That is one of the many reasons we got the extended warranty (7 years), protective coating that should NOT be waxed on our FF. Only 2nd season with our's and it still looks new. You also have to use a certain type of soap when washing it to not damage the coating.

I believe the cap is gel coat, like what is on boats, and requires only certain waxes that do not have abrasive qualities that erode the gelcoat. Our dealer provided this soap when we bought the camper. Gel coat is VERY thin and once gone, it can only be re-gelcoated to get the shine back. If it has been compromised, it will appear faded/oxidized.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #3

Wow, that's interesting. I have a 7 yr extended warranty but was told it's only mechanical. The customer service rep at Cruiser specifically said it was a clear coat and not a gel coat. I also was never instructed to use a certain soap, etc on the cap.

Thank you for the feedback.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #4

Well, maybe I should re-phrase what I posted.
The 7 year warranty covers all build issues with the camper, mechanical, appliances, fixtures, cabinets, tables, etc.

The spray protective coating they applied to our trailer, was an additional charge, and that is to protect the outside finishes from fading mainly.
The dealer told me not to wax it, but just wash it with the soap provided .
That soap apparently does not damage the longevity of the protective coating. The Cap is fiberglass, with a gel coat over the top of that.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #5

Got it! Maybe, that was why I wasn't personally instructed with that information. That extra coating would have been nice though!

I know that I have not used the incorrect product on the camper. I have a friend in the camping supply business and was provided the proper product for it.

Thank you again for your feedback, it's very much appreciated. I can't wait to have the time to read the other topics on here. I'm always in for new ideas!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #6

Depending on the fit of a cover, I know that any excess material or slack in one area or another can flap against a surface in windy conditions and literally rub it raw. I had a cover on our boat that sat for a year and when I took the cover off, it had removed all the painted on registration numbers and registration decal just like someone had sanded it. It would be interesting to know if your friend who has the same issue also used a cover that didn't fit perfectly ?

Old 11-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #7

Default It is hopeless, I think, and that's ok!

The front of my trailer gets sandblasted by bugs and sand and grit during thousands of miles of travel at 60 mph -- no matter what, the front cap of any trailer will deteriorate (except maybe an Airstream). I scrub off the bugs, wash it, and wax it every so often. That's life -- I don't see a way to avoid it.

Trying to keep the trailer in brand-new condition is kind of like putting plastic covers on the furniture in the living room, as my elderly relatives used to do back in the 1950s. What's the point? The couch is made for comfort, and the trailer is made for the open road. Both will get dirty and scuffed.

We have a saying in our family: "Since I gave up hope, I feel much better."
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #8

That issue is fairly common (the top edge "fading"). an awful lot of RVs suffer from that, particularly the grey or brown nose caps and doesn't have anything to do with your cover or the type of wax that you are using. Point of fact, the more of any wax you put on there is better than not using any. Keystone trailers (of which mine is one) has been suffering from that same "fading", "chalking" effect and all the hollering at the manufacturers has done little if any good at all. I've heard of a few Keystone folks that managed to get Keystone to foot the bill for a new paint job, sometimes with replacement decals, sometimes just the paint job, but, then the same process will usually start over again given time.

Mine does the same thing...usually takes two years before it is really noticeable. I use a power buffer and put 6 coats of NuFinish on it followed by 2 coats of Rejex (more as needed over the season) and it looks as good as new, but, I know that the fading will come back. I don't worry about it as there (AFAIK) isn't really anything "permanent" that can be done about it short of maybe a multi-coat repaint with one of the urethane automotive finishes (costly). It is what it is; doesn't look very good if you ignore it, can be made to look good with some elbow grease and multiple coats of a polymer type wax (not carnuba), but, I suspect that it has more to do with the base material of the shell itself and its reactivity with most common paint systems and not whether there is a clear coat over it or not. Clear coats, btw, are actually very durable, that's why automobiles for the last decade or so almost always come with a clear coat over the paint. There are still some low-end automobiles that have some paint colors that aren't clear coated and the clear coated colors are usually a higher priced "option". You would have to use a lot of elbow grease (a power buffer) and some pretty abrasive polishing compound to damage it if it is done properly (and most are; it is an established process now).

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

Default Solution

Thought I would finally post a follow up to my paint issue. After I continued my quest after Cruiser to get some type of help & accountability I did get an offer from them to pay up to a certain amount to repair the paint defect on the cap.

I had a local business take care of the cap and couldn't be more happy with the results.