Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Default Faded Front Cap

Front cap on my FF is terrible, $2400 to repaint. Saw ad for Wipe-Nu from rustoleum on TV so went to website. After a few emails and getting good answers I figured I would try since only $20 would be lost. Man, what a difference on the test area.
At company website you can get quart and gallon sizes. Some customers have done their entire trailer. Figure it will cost about $80 to do entire cap since one kit did the test area and have almost half of a bottle left.
Attached Thumbnails
20160810_185410_001.jpg   20160810_185356.jpg  

jtwcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #2

Prep consisted of glass cleaner and Mr. Clean cleaning pad and rags to dry. Wanted to get clean before putting on the ReColor. Suppose to last up to 5 years and waxing is not needed. The test to see if it would work is spray with water. If color seems to improve this product will work.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
Site Team

That's impressive. Interested to see how it how it holds up over time.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

I bought one kit and did all the plastic and was impressed. For many years been reading on RV net about using floor sealer et. al. on front caps. From my limited experience with this product, longevity, I would be applying it to the front cap even if not badly faded. If it holds thru this year going to apply to whole trailer. Good for boats to.
No I am not getting paid to push this product.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwcummins View Post
I bought one kit and did all the plastic and was impressed. For many years been reading on RV net about using floor sealer et. al. on front caps. From my limited experience with this product, longevity, I would be applying it to the front cap even if not badly faded. If it holds thru this year going to apply to whole trailer. Good for boats to.
No I am not getting paid to push this product.

Sounds Good JT,
Can you post the before and after pics for us, I am interested in doing my trailer as well...

Whoops, my computer must have slow in loading... the pics you already posted look great...
Thanks in advance...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

I did the one side and let cure for a couple of days in hot sun. After a couple of days I decided better results will happen if I take a wheel and mild compound to clean better. The higher parts are the worst so think if I cut a little with compound it will turn out even better. more of an even finish. Will post pics when done. Right now slight imperfection are visible when close. From a few feet away it looks great.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

I spent two long days working on my Viewfinders cap for the third time. Thought I did a really good job as I finally got a shine going. Three days later it was gone. I've given up trying to repair it. But, your solution gives me hope. Is it still holding up?
Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #8

Yes, what I did is still looking great. Best prep is to clean with a good cleaner and brush, then sand with 2000 grit sandpaper (wet). After that use some fine rubbing compound then wash again using dish soap.
Works so good my neighbor and I split the cost of 32 oz bottle. When his new C class gets here we are going to do the whole thing. I just got a Haulmark Flex 5 and I am going to do all of it also. Recommend going to
Wipe New® Professional |
check it out. Only issue is when you start, no stopping. If you have places you can stop and won't be obvious then ok. You can not do a second coat. This stuff won't stick to itself if you try 2 coats, beads up and runs off. Follow the directions and work great.
To see if there is a chance the cap is to far gone wet it with water. If the color comes up you are good to go.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #9

Thank you. I'll give it a shot this fall...
Old 08-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #10

Just a suggestion, but sun fade from UV rays from sunlight can be prevented using a UV blocker like Areospace 303 for use on cars, boats, convertable tops, tonneau covers and travel trailers/RV's. I purchased some from Amazon.com but many other places have it too.

https://www.amazon.com/303-30306-Pro...ric+protectant
Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #11

Problem is many FF front caps came without being properly sealed, mine has had more 303 applied than you could believe. Even marine waxes and it just fads. If this wipe new is properly applied no need to use anything else on it, good for 5 yrs. Nothing sticks to it which is why a 2nd coat can't be applied. The rest of the trailer still as shiny as when new.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #12

I think my cap is too far gone for 303. I'm going to try the Wipe New product with your suggestions on how to do it...
Old 09-04-2016, 10:01 PM   #13

jtwcummins, how much did you buy? The quart, gallon, or something else? I noticed in a search that a kit (looks small) is available from Home Depot. Did you buys yours directly from the Rustoleum website? Our front end has faded terribly in the last month in storage.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #14

Bought a quart to split with neighbor. To try it I bought one of the small kits, covers about 100 sq ft. Ordered the pro. Found a 4" tight sponge roller worked great with the 4" square microfiber cloths included. Wrap the cloth around the roller and get better results, much easier to keep even application. The cloth can be hard to use by itself, especially on large areas. Used on new Haulmark covered trailer, 8x5 covered, and used less than 3 oz to cover everything.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #15

I used the faded cap to negotiate way down, That guy is going to be upset if I get these same results. Thanks for the info.
K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #16

Default Faded Front Cap.

The very top of my 214WSD cap faded. I just received it back from the dealer. Repainted the front cap and replaced decals under warranty. Looks great now.
I wonder how this will last.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:57 AM   #17

Probably looked like this? Not enough uv stabilizer in the gel coat.
Attached Thumbnails
20170305_124730.jpg  
K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:09 AM   #18

Similar. My front cap faded from the top of the decal to where the cap ended. Didn't take a picture.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #19

Wow! That's amazing!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #20

I just did my 2014 242 with Wipe New Marine since it treats gel coat. Here's a before and after of mine. Before (lighting looks different but very ashy looking) is the day I went to pick up the trailer when I bought it last year, and after was today. I simply washed real well with dish detergent, and let it fully dry, then put a coat on it. It looked pretty bad to start, and although not new looking up close, standing about 15-20ft away it looks stellar compared to what it was. Well worth the $200, and the 20-30min it took to do it. The instructions said to wash, use sand paper, acetone, etc...but I simply didn't have the time. End of day, I'm super stoked!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6145.jpg  

Etcket is offline   Reply With Quote