Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 11:08 PM   #1

Question Fastening ladder to Fun Finder

Hey all,
I’ve got a ladder I need to attach to the outside rear wall of the trailer. What do you use for that kind of load?

Ahdoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Team

If the trailer comes equipped with a ladder from the factory there is reinforcement inside the wall to attach it to and support the extra weight. If it didn't, you would have to install reinforcement on the other side of the wall, inside the trailer, to attach the ladder to. Probably something like a large sheet of plywood. Not sure how practical that is.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #3

The trailer didn't come with a ladder, I'm adding it. There was a spare tire on the back but it wasn't well reinforced so I relocated it to the front tongue. I'm building the ladder so it will have multiple contact points with the outside wall. I'm just unaware of what kind of fasteners are recommended to use on RV's since the skins are so thin.
Ahdoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #4

Since the back wall is so thin and weak, the more reinforcement, the better! For example, here is a project that I did a while back to reinforce the spare so that I could attach a gas can to it:

https://lookmomimcamping.blogspot.co...pare-tire.html

As it turns out, I am not doing the gas can thing anymore -- I felt that the can was too vulnerable and posed a risk of fire. But my spare is now solid as a rock, as a result of the reinforcement of the back wall.

So, for example, let's say there are bolts that attach your ladder. Instead of using ordinary washers or even fender washers, I would use a thin piece of steel plate (maybe 4 inches by four inches?) on each bolt to spread the load as much as possible.

And I would use nylon core nuts that will stay put, rather than ordinary hex nuts.

Good luck with this project! Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Since the back wall is so thin and weak, the more reinforcement, the better! For example, here is a project that I did a while back to reinforce the spare so that I could attach a gas can to it:

https://lookmomimcamping.blogspot.co...pare-tire.html

As it turns out, I am not doing the gas can thing anymore -- I felt that the can was too vulnerable and posed a risk of fire. But my spare is now solid as a rock, as a result of the reinforcement of the back wall.

So, for example, let's say there are bolts that attach your ladder. Instead of using ordinary washers or even fender washers, I would use a thin piece of steel plate (maybe 4 inches by four inches?) on each bolt to spread the load as much as possible.

And I would use nylon core nuts that will stay put, rather than ordinary hex nuts.

Good luck with this project! Let us know how it goes.
I saw the pics, great idea, wondering did you do anything inside to reinforce the wall or was the angle enough to support say a gallon of gas?
wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #6

I didn't do anything to support the wall, other than using a big piece of steel as a "load spreader." But I suppose you could add a sheet of plywood, too>

The problem is that the rear wall of my trailer is fiberglass -- not very thick, and not something I want to make extra holes in, if I can avoid it. Not only is a hole a possible source of a leak -- it is also a possible source of structural failure due to material fatigue. The fiberglass can flex, and a crack might radiate out from the hole.

And the project was a technical success but a practical failure -- the spare tire and the gas can were well supported. But I later decided (with quite a bit of gentle encouragement by my wife) that carrying a gas can on top of the spare was too risky, no matter how well anchored it is.

The project was not a lost cause, though -- I absolutely had to re-anchor the spare tire due to the looseness of the original bolts, and that part of the project went very well.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:58 PM   #7

You don’t say which model or the year of it, unfortunately there is not much inside the wall except foam over which they glued thin fiberglass to the 1/16 luan plywood. The main support is the aluminum frame which is only tack welded at each point and not fully welded. For load wall support ie where the awning supports are they just put a piece of 1/2 inch x 4 inch wide plywood in there, not really connected to anything.
To put a ladder on you would have to figure out where the aluminum tubes go up the walls and put a support on the inside to bridge them.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

I solved the "no ladder" issued with a telescoping ladder like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V72N3RY...osi&th=1&psc=1

Installing a ladder on a toy hauler isn't possible on the rear due to the drop ramp so this was the perfect alternative.

They are also available at multiple retailers like Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc.
They take very little space, are lightweight and compact when collapsed. Also one can set them up anywhere around the camper and/or use around the house.