Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #1

Default FF 160X front bunk removal

Has anyone taken out the bunk over the dinette and made it shelf for storing bedding etc.

chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #2

Default Yes

I took out the bunk and put in a cargo net for the bedding -- every morning, I bundle up the sheets and blankets and pillow and the mattress topper and shove it up into the netting. No need to put it away under the seats!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

Thanks we have been storing on the ends of each bunk bed toward the back.
How did you secure the netting. Pictures ??
Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

On my first Fun Finder, after removing the bunk, I just attached bungee cords to the front edge of the bunk frame to the back bunk bracket, and then secured the cargo net to that bungee -- here is my attempt to post a pic of that method:

But then on my new Fun Finder, I attached a thin wooden stringer in place of those side bungees, and then attached the netting to the wood. Much more secure.

I hope this helps -- let me know if you have further questions!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #5

Yes, we removed the bunk bed and it has worked out fine. I bought a nice 12" wide pine plank and made a shelf. We only put light stuff on the shelf after we are parked. The bed was pretty much useless, and it can't hurt taking out the extra weight.
donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #6

I have thought of doing this numerous times this year on the x160. Perfect little camper but my kids are on the bunks while we could use the extra storage. I like the bungee cord idea but has anyone done anything else. I do notice that he bunk down over the queen bed below makes a really nice shelf as well. It's just when as a table this doesn't work so well.
NEFANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #7

Was wondering if could take half of the bunk apart at the hinge and just leave the one to front wall in place. Would be slanted shelf of sorts but might work for bedding. I do not have FF home right now or could look at this.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #8

Default Front Bunk

After our first year of camping I can't recall one time where we ate inside the camper, the queen bed stayed folded down as it is just easier that putting table up and down. The reason I bring this up is our last couple of camping trips we made up queen bed and just put the top bunk out for storage. There is a lot of room up there for a lot of things with the bunk down.

And there is still plenty of headroom below. If tables up you would struggle with headroom but for us, family of four and seemed to work well. Maybe next year we buy one of those streatch nets for the top bunk so we can really utilize this.

I have to say for a 17' camoer I sit in the x160 and say what a great floor plan that is spacious as your going to get without a slideout. Looking forward to spring.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #9

Default Rain and snow and cold??

Nefan, you must be a lot tougher than we are -- when it rains, or it is cold (below 40), or it snows, we eat inside, and that is pretty often, even on the West Coast -- we camp at high altitude (often over 9000 feet), so we really use the dinette table. I guess New Hampshire is warmer than I thought it was!!

Seriously, how do you eat outside in bad weather? We have seen rugged folks in Western Washington who suspend big tarps over the picnic table -- I have even seen them with tarps high over a campfire!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

I'm with you, profdant139. We use our dining table every day, probably most consistently in the morning. Eating outside is nice, too, but we like the flexibility to eat either place, and we actually enjoy the dinette booth on our 2014 210UDS. Not perfect, but very acceptable, given the size and weight constraints we were under when we chose the 210UDS.
Kevin & Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #11

Default Eating inside

We were lucky with the weather this year, no rain that I can recall and we really went once in the fall when it was cold. Our plan B probably would of been moving the picnic table under the awning.

Regardless of shelf or not I have to say that putting the bed up and down is a chore, we just chose to leave it down. I guess that is camping in general. After our first year camping I have to say that I would def look for the next camper to have a dedicated bed/bunks with a table that we leave up. A lot of choices but in my x160 it was a real chore to pull all the sheets and covers off and then remake later.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #12

I never use the dinette either. The bed is always set up. We use a small folding aluminum table to eat inside when necessary. We sit on the lower twin bed (used as a couch) and eat at the small table. The top twin bunk is used for easily accessible storage.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #13

Default Mattress cover with sheet

NEFAN, we soon decided that putting sheets on the cushions was a hassle. Instead, we put a cover on a removable mattress pad -- the cover is two sheets sewn together, and the pad slips inside. In the morning, we roll up the mattress pad with the cover and stow it in the bunk. One end of the cover is closed with safety pins -- when we get home, we remove the pins to launder the cover. Very easy!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #14

Default Making bed

Profant...great tip, thanks for sharing.