Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Default finding power problem

We just bought a 2004 T160. there are 2 batteries, the one on the tongue and one under the rear left bunk which is connected to a solar panel, which is charging fine. Lights and pump work when connected to the truck or the battery in the back, but I can't get power from the battery on the tongue. I haven't tried chasing the electrical lines. The fuse downstream of the tongue battery is fine. Is there a switch or something to select the battery on the tongue?

Any ideas on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to shadow

should be a master switch inside, the old push pull type I think, not sure where its located on your model

shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #3

okay, thanks. I've googled that, might have a lead. Any sites with a good wiring diagram would be helpful, if anyone knows of one.
Martin
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

I am not sure that your model came with solar from the factory -- so whoever installed the solar may have altered the wiring. Do you have a panel with rocker switches for the lights and pump and so forth? If so, check the lower right corner of that panel -- there should be a knob. When pulled out, the battery is connected. When it is in, it is disconnected.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:04 AM   #5

Just as a follow-up - in case anyone is curious, my trailer didnt have a cutoff switch for the tongue battery. As prof suggested, the previous owner had modified the connection when he (or someone) installed the solar panel. Then, they reversed the connection so that the black wire has to go to positive and white to negative. So, I had to locate the inline fuse he installed which was blown as I hooked it up with black to negative. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:31 AM   #6

Sounds like he might of been an electrican. To automotive guys black 95% of the time is ground or negitive. To an electrican black is always your hot (or positive in this case) wire. Idk why but my negative cable is white not black. My positive is red (which is what I'm used to).
Old 06-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Site Team

Not sure why, but on trailers white is negative.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote