Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Default Finding roof rafters

Does anyone know of a good way to locate aluminium roof rafters on a 2010 189FBR? I want to mount a 100 watt solar panel and I want to mount it to at least one rafter for safety.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #2

Wow -- that's a tough question. No way to locate them from the inside, since there is that thick insulation in the ceiling. And I do not know if a magnetic stud sensor will work on aluminum.

I'll be watching this thread, hoping to learn something!

Old 07-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #3

I've tried stud sensors for the walls, no luck. Solar panels on thr roof only work if you will park in full sun. I park mostly in shade, much cooler in trailer. I use a portable 100 watt panel with a long cord so I can place it in the sun and move it as the sun moves.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #4

twinster, I should add that I use a 120 watt portable panel, with great success, because we usually park the trailer in the shade. If you use a longer cord (as I do), make sure it is heavy gauge -- a lighter cord will cause a drop in the voltage.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #5

Twinster- If you search on this forum, "Fun Finder Solar Install Part 2", you will see what I wrote a few years back about securing solar panels to the roof. I am certain there is no need to find the aluminum roof frame and besides, they are not likely in the ideal location anyway. Between the Dicor's stickiness and the well nuts' grip those panels are going nowhere. I have now used this same technique on three trailer solar roof installs. This is not my idea. Renology's RV install guide from several years ago illustrated the well nut technique. MUCH more important IMO is not mistakenly drilling into an electyrical wire crossing the roof in the space between roof skin and ceiling luan. Dip that drill bit carefully and very shallowly.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #6

Jbfunfinder- Thanks for the advice. Did you use butyl tape under the aluminium feet when you screwed them down? Also, I looked at your posting and was wondering if you put dicor on the screw heads since your picture didn't show that you did.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #7

Twinster- If you check "Fun Finder Solar Install Part 3" on the search, you can see a photo of a completed installation. I did not use butyl tape, although I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Instead, I puddled a small amount of Dicor lap sealant on each of the 8 well nuts just before carefully lowering the panel's four feet onto the roof. I also puddled some sealant on top of each exposed stainless bolt head/washer to prevent top down water penetration. If you want to do the belt and suspenders approach, you might just pool Dicor under and over the entire bracket and onto the surrounding roof skin. My current TT is a different brand. I recently bought it used from someone who had paid the dealership to add two 200 watt panels to the roof. That dealership pooled Dicor over each bracket foot.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 02:57 PM   #8

I went to manufacturer and they were glad enough to take the time to rummage through past files (2007 18FBS) and email a copy.
whatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:37 AM   #9

To locate aluminum rafters or wall studs after a hot day it starts to cool down use an infrared camera from the top. You will see the rafters as the roof skin cools.
Old 07-08-2023, 10:36 PM   #10

Silverado, that's a very clever solution -- thanks for posting that idea!!
Old 08-27-2023, 10:25 AM   #11

I've just joined this forum and this thread closely addresses a question I have. I am trying to find a way to locate the framing on the back of my 2007 X-139 so I can securely attach a couple of brackets that will hold the forks of a couple of bicycles whose weight will actually be held by a rack that I have had professionally attached to the trailer frame.

I'll give the infrared camera suggestion a try.

I assume there is framing along the back edges so I could safely attach a panel across the back wall, attached at each edge, then attach the brackets to the panel, but it would be better if I could attach it to one or more center points as well.

I contacted Cruiser RV directly with the question and they were particularly unhelpful. I'm hoping someone here might have more information.

RickL is offline   Reply With Quote