Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Default Frame Twisting and Failures

Hello, I purchased a new 2012 Fun Finder Extra 27' Toy Hauler out of Logan UT (RockyMT RV) on Jan. 2013. It had some problems that night which they said they fixed and anythiing else they said was covered under warranty in Las Vegas. By the time I got home we have lots of issues with twisting and frame failures. It has neeb to three dealerships/repair shops. The first one made some repairs but the problems just returned. The second two refused to touch the trailer confirming frame and twisting issues. Problems have included ceiling cabinets pulling away from the ceiling, Center wall buckling and separating from the floor, doors and windows not opening and closing correctly, the floor and ceiling trim seperates from the floor and ceiling, the floor buckles and creakes when walked on and sewer pipes leak to name just a few. The dealers out herre say the trailer is not safe and that it needs to be returned to the manufacture and replaced. It has been back to the factory with the problems not fix or that it has continued to twist so much on the return home that the issues have returned or broken again. So for over a year it has been at three dealers and at the factory with me not being able to use it. Has anyone eles had these problems hoping that Cruser will leave my post on this site. Tks

TTlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

Default Wow!

I have never heard of such a thing -- sounds like bad welding?? And you mentioned that Cruiser might delete your post -- I don't think they have that ability, do they? This forum is not maintained by them.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

What model number do you have xt-245, xt 275 or xt 276 ?? This is the 1st I heard of frames twisting that bad , I guess it was this bad before loading any toys in the back ? If so has to be a bad frame and bad welds or missing welds or missing supports between the I beams maybe if it is that bad, is this a brand new trailer or did you by it used? And I though I had problems ,
Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
roy

I've read about it on some other brands but never heard of a cruiser one with the frame frame problem. It could exist as the frames are all made by one company Lippert I believe. I have inspected mine, been under it a lot since it's had all sorts of other problems and the frame appears to be good. Some rust hear and there but that was there from new.

Sounds like you may have a lemon law case against this unit. You may have to seek out an attorney to get it properly handled. I hate to mention that as most know attorneys don't always have your best interest at stake. With what you have described I just do not see how all that can be resolved without a full tear down a resorption. Way cheaper for all parties to payout and part ways. Good luck and please come back and let us all know the eventual outcome.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Wow, it does sound like the frame wasn't made correctly. I agree with roy that you might have a lemon law case there - assuming Utah has lemon laws that apply to trailers.

You might try taking it to an independent trailer repair place and get it evaluated by a 3rd party.

And no, Cruiser can't delete your post. This forum has no affiliation with them at all. It's just an owners group.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

If dealers won't help, get your insurance involved, have them deal with cruiser's. But, dealer should really be going to bat for you.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #7

Default Re: Frame Twisting and Failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTlover
Hello, I purchased a new 2012 Fun Finder Extra 27' Toy Hauler out of Logan UT (RockyMT RV) on Jan. 2013. It had some problems that night which they said they fixed and anythiing else they said was covered under warranty in Las Vegas. By the time I got home we have lots of issues with twisting and frame failures. It has neeb to three dealerships/repair shops. The first one made some repairs but the problems just returned. The second two refused to touch the trailer confirming frame and twisting issues. Problems have included ceiling cabinets pulling away from the ceiling, Center wall buckling and separating from the floor, doors and windows not opening and closing correctly, the floor and ceiling trim seperates from the floor and ceiling, the floor buckles and creakes when walked on and sewer pipes leak to name just a few. The dealers out herre say the trailer is not safe and that it needs to be returned to the manufacture and replaced. It has been back to the factory with the problems not fix or that it has continued to twist so much on the return home that the issues have returned or broken again. So for over a year it has been at three dealers and at the factory with me not being able to use it. Has anyone eles had these problems hoping that Cruser will leave my post on this site. Tks
Just purchased 2015 xtra-276 toy hauler. floor looks like it is from a 20 year old trailer. It is soft between the cross members and were the cross members are located there are humps. The one hump is that high it trips you. Have complained to the dealer and cruiser rv. I found out that the frame from Lippert was not made properly that the cross members are in the wrong positions. They new this when the camper was built, but sent thru anyway. This sounds like a crap company to me. I have talked with the better business bureau and the Atorney Generals Office, and they say I have to give them a chance to make it right, if this does not fix the problem then I put in a complaint. There are other issues also with the rear bed were I had to make a support for the middle and the fresh water tank leaks. The dealer is not really doing anything but being a message carrier between me and cruiser rv. It is like they are afraid of them. I have asked for a refund or a new trailer but that may not happen without sewing them. If they made these trailers any with bad frames, what else are they hiding. It is going back to the manufacturing plant to have bracing put in the floor.
rippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #8

Default 2015 189FDS

I very recently took delivery on my 2015 189FDS. I have been telling my friends that it appears as if the whole trailer is out of plumb. I'm taking it back to the dealer for other issues on Tuesday and will discuss this with them.

What should I be looking for on the underside?

Thanks.

Michelle
Old 06-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

Default Say it ain't so!

Michelle, that is terrible news. What do you mean it is out of plumb? Front to back, side to side, or twisted (heaven forbid!)

Here is one suggestion -- level it as best you can with the stabilizers. (Do you have those stick on bubble levels? Walmart has them.) Now that it appears to be level, go into the trailer with a very small hard rubber ball (like a superball) or a marble. Place it on the floor in various places to see if there is a pattern. (This will not work on carpet.) Does the ball fall off to one side or the other or frontwards or whatever? The movement of the ball will give you valuable diagnostic info, because if the frame is twisted, I don't think that there is a way that you can see the twist just by looking underneath, unless it is VERY twisted.

If the structural members are intact but slightly uneven, and if the box is just sitting unevenly on the frame members, there might be a way to shim the box in just the right place to restore the box to a proper fit.

Hang in there, and let us know how it is going!!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #10

Default Update on My FunFinder Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoff View Post
Just purchased 2015 xtra-276 toy hauler. floor looks like it is from a 20 year old trailer. It is soft between the cross members and were the cross members are located there are humps. The one hump is that high it trips you. Have complained to the dealer and cruiser rv. I found out that the frame from Lippert was not made properly that the cross members are in the wrong positions. They new this when the camper was built, but sent thru anyway. This sounds like a crap company to me. I have talked with the better business bureau and the Atorney Generals Office, and they say I have to give them a chance to make it right, if this does not fix the problem then I put in a complaint. There are other issues also with the rear bed were I had to make a support for the middle and the fresh water tank leaks. The dealer is not really doing anything but being a message carrier between me and cruiser rv. It is like they are afraid of them. I have asked for a refund or a new trailer but that may not happen without sewing them. If they made these trailers any with bad frames, what else are they hiding. It is going back to the manufacturing plant to have bracing put in the floor.

Hi. Just an update on my Lemon. We are in litigation and have been for a long time. They had Lippert mobile wielding truck come out and add the additional support brackets. They did not make any difference. May I ask how you know they new. If enough of us start speaking out maybe they will fix these things.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep View Post
I very recently took delivery on my 2015 189FDS. I have been telling my friends that it appears as if the whole trailer is out of plumb. I'm taking it back to the dealer for other issues on Tuesday and will discuss this with them.

What should I be looking for on the underside?

Thanks.

Michelle
Hi Michelle,

Were you ever able to get your trailer fixed and did they tell you what is wrong with it.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #12

This has nothing to do with the frame, but there is a post by someone on the irv2 forum (user name is Jeck) who had so many problems with his Dutchmen that he contacted a lawyer and after a horrible year, got his trailer replaced by the manufacturer. So I would say it's time to contact a lawyer and prepare for months of runaround.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote