Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

Default Frame VS Floor VS Steps

We have found our problem, I have no idea how to fix it.
Our FunFinderX 160 is having an issue where the trailer frame is separating from the floor of the trailer. This is just happening on the inside right, door side.

The pull out step to get into the trailer is welded to the metal frame. All 4 stabilizing feet jacks are mounted to the actual wood floor of the trailer.

When you jack the trailer up for leveling, you bring the whole rig UP. When you step on the steps to get in you are pushing the frame of the rig DOWN off the floor. Only minimally though. This tiny pull and push has now caused a little bit of separation of the metal and wood. This separation is causing our rig to be VERY loud and squeaky when we are at a slow speed and turning corner, like RV parks and campgrounds. It's embarrassing and I have no idea how to fix it. HELP.

I assume I need to se some type of caulk or sealant in the small space of separation. Something to buffer the noise as well. I could jack up the trailer and have a heavy man stand on the steps to get the crack to open?

missmattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #2

Your "stabilizer" jacks should be frame mounted, not floor mounted and from the quotation marks, you should glean that they are stabilizing jacks, not leveling jacks. They were never designed to lift your trailer, even if attached to the frame, they shouldn't be used to lift the trailer. They are used merely to "stabilize" the rig to hold motion down.

To level your trailer, use plastic lego blocks (my favorite) or wood blocks to put under the tires on the low side. Once level side to side, then use the tongue jack to level front to back. Once the rig is level, then you put the "stab" (stabilizer) jacks down just snug enough to keep the trailer reasonably stable; never torque them enough to actually lift your trailer.

I can't imagine who or why someone installed your jacks on the floor and not the frame; I've seen a lot of trailers, and even ones that are difficult to find the space, have the jacks attached to the metal frame (that's where they belong). My 210WBS was crowded, front and rear, and the jacks were anchored kitty cornered across the frame corners, but, on the frame, not the floor.

First thing you need to do is to get them removed and remounted to the frame where they belong to keep from doing any more damage to the floor to frame mounting. Next step, to repair the damage already done... If it were me, I'd get one of those flat, wide wrecking bars and wedge it in between the floor and frame and use it to spread the loose area. Once you have the gap open, using a caulk gun, squirt some weatherproof construction adhesive into the gap and then pull the wrecking bar out letting the floor's weight serve as a "clamp" as the glue sets. With the jacks properly mounted to the frame, that should hold the unit's floor down well enough and the jack's stress point will be under the frame supporting the entire assembly.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Team

I would think the first thing you need to do is move the stabilizer jacks. They should be attached to the trailer frame, not the wooden floor.

By having them attached to the floor the attachment between the frame and the floor has loosened. I've never really looked at how the floor is attached, but you'll need to find the attachment points on the side where it's come loose to see how to retighten it. I don't think caulking the gap is going to fix your problem.

Edit: Don - you beat me to it.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Comes from being retired and a rainy day...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote