Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 04:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezel85 View Post
Total opposite here. I've only had water hookups twice, and power hook ups once in 4 years of RV camping.. Never a sewer hookup.

I usually avoid campgrounds with hookups because its too expensive and not worth it. Our local provincial parks that have water/power charge $30-45 Canadian dollars a night and the private campgrounds can be even higher than that and have sewer. We usually camp in rustic regional campsites for $15/night or less. Some campsites are free around here if you can beat the others to a site first. They have no running water, have to bring it in. All they provide, Garbage bins, outhouses, picnic table and firepit ring.

I have full power setup on board anyways, its only the 35 gal water tank that really restricts us. a 4 day long weekend is tight to manage with the 2 of us however we do manage to get at least 1-2 quick showers each in.
Yes, your parks are pricey. We are camping in Ontario for four nights and will pay $37.50 (American) per night for four nights. Only electric and water spigots. But they do have a dumpstation and showers. Here in Michigan we often pay $20 for that in State Parks.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #42

I, too, have found the Canadian parks expensive, and well worth the price. They are much more well maintained and patrolled than most US public parks, the bathrooms are better, the sites are not too close together, and on and on. I do not prefer campgrounds, but in national, state, and provincial parks, there is often no boondocking available. So I am grateful to pay a little extra to get a lot extra, whenever we are in Canada.

The price of campgrounds does not deter me from going to Canada. The price of alcohol, though, is startling.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #43

Quote "The price of campgrounds does not deter me from going to Canada. The price of alcohol, though, is startling."

That is part of the reason we have "free" Health Care, Heavy Taxes on Tobacco and alcohol. The price of a case of beer here is easily $30.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #44

We drink something 'maybe' once a month and don't smoke so the price of those things doesn't bother us. We will buy our food in Canada rather than crossing the border with it. No big deal. The campground is on Lake Superior and near waterfalls so the fee isn't a big deal either. We haven't explored that side of Superior yet. They have a dog beach too. It's been a long time since we did the circle tour of Superior but not this trip.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #45

I was just joking about the price of alcohol, although it was a surprise the first time we crossed the border. We have thoroughly enjoyed every trip we have made up there (I think we have been to Canada four or five times). Great people, great scenery.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #46

I would love to get back to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. Also would like to see the Laurentian Mountains in Quebec. My father was born in Saskatchewan.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #47
APD

Finding a nice campground when on the road can be hit or miss but we've had good luck at it so far. On-line reviews don't really help, they're scattered from one star to five and usually a year old or more. Best advice I was given was to stop early enough to keep going if the CG didn't meet standards. We've paid from $22 to $52 per night depending on where we were.
Having camped in a van for many years we've learned how to spot a bad CG in about 2.5 seconds or less.....

Anyway, in trying to wind this post back around to the topic....the water tank on our T139 is the only one we've ever had. I guess that's one reason we don't use it, not use to having one.

Alan

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote