Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #1

Default fresh water tank valve - position to close completely

I have an 2007 X160 and I just filled up the fresh water tank for an upcoming trip. I noticed that the drain valve was open, and I was told that in order to close the valve, I should turn the valve 90 degrees. For the most part this worked, but now it seems to be leaking. Should the turn be 180 degrees perhaps? Thanks

Old 04-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Van

The valves on water tanks in rvs are frequently leaky unless in just the right spot. IIRC, the valve on my tank has a 180 degree turn. Just dont force it of the plastic will crack and break.

Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:22 AM   #3

Thanks. I turned it 180 degrees and that did the trick. Good point to note about not forcing it...
Old 05-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
sbb

Default Water Hot and Tank

I am just catching up and although not new to camping and a trailer, I am totally new to plumbing, tanks and dumping. I have two questions, or validation that I am doing something the correct way.

- Hot water, I was told at the dealer, fill my tank with garden hose, open faucets for both sinks (two hot, two cold) and turn on the pump for the water... when the air is out of lines the water will flow smooth and during this time the hot water tank will fill. Turn off all faucets, go back out and add more water (which I guess at this point goes only into fresh, not hot water tank) is that the only way to do it and is the a better way to know if hot water tank has water? After that I leave pump on for pumpimg the water. As for hot water, i was told to turn it on about 20 munutes before use, use it and flip swith off. So how do you know if there is water in that tank? If it gets low, does it fill again from the fresh tank?

- Empty tank..is there an ( empty the fresh tank at once plug underneath, or do I have to run the faucets to empty fresh to grey and them dump? I saaw a bypass valve for the hot water tank, but if there is one for fresh, where is it?

Thank you to all who can answer these questions. I also learned the hard way that water can evaporate in the black and grey tanks, and when you drive and things get sludged around, the effect is overpowering. I have learned to add a little water each week the trailer sits in warm weather.
50 Watt Solar Panel
36 Nights Out 2011
sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #5

I have the same year and model as you. Just open the valve on the tank and you will empty it completely. If you want to go further and empty all the lines in the trailer just to the rear of the fresh water tank, on the side where you hot water access is, there are two lines hanging down with caps on them. Take off the caps and open all the faucets and the entire system should be emptied. To empty the toilet fill line, flush and hold down for a short time and that line will empty also. From what I am told your hot water tank will always have a little water left in it and to remove that water you have to remove the anode or element depending on what type of water heater you have.

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
sbb

Where are the tanks, near where my fill thingy is? I will go look after dinner. So does the hot water always refil automatically? Thank you.
50 Watt Solar Panel
36 Nights Out 2011
sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #7

Fill up your water tank and then open all the faucets and then turn on your water pump. The hot water tank will fill up and then water will run from the faucets. Do this until all the air has excaped. Then shut off your pump, close the faucets, and refill the water tank. At this point you will have a little water in the gray tank.
If the tanks you are referring to are the black and gray they are located at the rear of the TT. The black is at the back and the gray is in front of it.
On each side of the drain hose connection are the handles for emptying the tanks. They are color coded, grey and black.

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #8

Default First trip - help - bought used x160 no manual - want water

No manuals with used x160 so i i need someone to give me step by step instructions on how to fill the tank. I did put hose on the City Water valve but have not turned anything on.

How do it know if it is filled (by having the kitchen sink taps on?) and seeing the water run smoothly? Then what if i want hot water - do i just turn on water pump button by front door? Does this come from the same tank that has the city water valve?

Everything else seems to be good. I leave tomorrow a.m.
j.armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #9

I can't access my instruction book right now, but I believe I can paraphrase what it says about filling the hot water tank. First, connect a hose to the shore(city) water fitting and turn on the hose. Open the kitchen and bath hot water faucets until they run without sputtering. Then go out to the hot water tank access panel and manually open the pressure relief valve. This will be a brass fitting near the top of the tank with a small handle. Mine is clearly labeled as a pressure relief valve and has a blue handle. Manually open this valve which will allow any air pocket that has developed in the top of the tank to vent. You should get some air mixed with water. In other words it will sputter just like the faucets. According to my instructions some air is necessary, so don't keep it open too long. When you get a good quantity of water mixed with the air, that's enough. close the pressure relief valve, the faucets inside the Rv and shut down the hose.

While you have the hot water panel open look in the lower left corner for a small electrical rocker switch. If you have the optional water heater, it operates on both electric and gas. Look closely as the back wall of the panel, because the switch is small and generally behind some tubes and wires. If you have this switch, you can operate the water heater on electric,propane,or both. Electric takes longer to heat up, but uses shore power instead of your propane. To turn the propane heater on, my switch is inside the RV on the side of the kitchen counter by the door. I leave mine on continually when camping. HOWEVER, I have pulled the dumbest stunt in the history of RV'ing by forgetting to turn it off when I installed the cover on my RV. Luckily, I had remembered to turn off the main propane valve, so the limited propane just burned a hole in my cover and did not flame the entire RV. Good luck.

Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote