Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Default Fridge not getting very cold

Just getting ready to set out for the first shake down run of the year. During the winter, I had a family of mice move in behind the fridge...they made a pretty big mess and damaged the small board on the fridge that allows you to turn the fridge on/off or switch to gas or electric (auto or gas mode). This board is mounted on the top in the front of the fridge.

I replaced the board being it would not let the fridge turn on...now it works. I the gas burner turns on and off as needed, and the small freezer part gets cold...but the fridge parts is only cool. The metal fins in the back are cold and have the usually small amount of ice build up but the rest of the fridge is just not as cold as before...

One thing I needed to do to clean up after the mice...I removed the fibreglass insulation that was on each side of the outside of the fridge...

so..

My question is does this insulation help keep the fridge cold? It seemed to me this was only to help keep the cold outside air from the back side of the fridge vents from getting the inside of the trailer cold..or hot I guess if you were in a hot climate....

Do I need to install new fibreglass around the fridge?? any other ideas??

This is a 2006 fun finder T-13/X-13.....
Thx for the help...

New_Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Default You need insulation

Without enough insulation, the heat of the air warms up the interior of the fridge. So the bad news is that the mice have forced you to re-insulate. The good news is that you can make it better than new! I added extra insulation and created a heat deflector for the flue -- here are the details:

http://lookmomimcamping.blogspot.com...nsulation.html

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #3

Thx for the information...

When I purchased the trailer (used from a private sale) the heat deflector was already there...someone must have heard of this idea

But now that I removed all the insulation on the sides, I am thinking this is my issue. I had the fridge running on propane for 2 days, and last night I put some cool beer in there as we were packing up to head out today. The morning, the beers were cold. I know a fridge works betters when it is full, so now it is loaded up, so i will see how it does this weekend...and when i get back, I think i will insulate it as it was before.

Just need to find a way to keep the mice out during the winter!!

Thx again for the ideas..
New_Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

And 'Cab Fresh' will keep the mice out!

Yes, it works. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fresh-cab
Old 07-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #5

Hi. We were having problems with our fridge not keeping cool enough which is why I joined this forum in this first place. Our problem turned out to be the probe was not properly placed. Not sure if your fridge has one but if it does, it should be moved to the top of the fridge. I prop ours in the drain tray and we've had no problems since - other than mice or chipmunks in our trailer this year - proof that Bounce sheets don't work!!
2weird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #6

Default Fridge not getting cold....

I've had same issues but I figured out that the auto temp on fridge doesn't seem to work when the fridge has just a few things in it. Once I fill it up things start to get cold. Freezer works well, just a nuisance. I do have the sensor probe that is mentioned and have it near the top.

NEFANMAN is offline   Reply With Quote