Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #1

Default Fridge Storage Racks Replacement Mods Options ?

What is the work around for the inside of the fridge please ? Ours has one rack that is made for very tall containers like a big milk jug, which we dont use. Half of that rack is now unusable due to that. It bugs me to no end. I would also love to buy an additional shelf to put in there. So will need 2 racks on total to make it more user friendly.

Also the veggie bottom section of our fridge has 2 seperate slide out plastic compartments, which I find impractical. Our previous Trail cruiser trailer, with the same size fridge had only 1 long veggie compartment, which worked a lot better. I was thinking I can contact the manufacturer of our fridge, but is there any low cost alternatives for better shelving options inside the fridge please ?

Old 06-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #2

I looked online for those replacement Dometic white plastic coated wire shelves and I see Amazon sells it for $90 each. Then I looked on EBay and saw that they do sell the wire shelf plugs ( pic 2 ) that fits onto the sides of the fridge to hold an extra shelf. First pic shows the shelf with the cut out piece for a tall container, I want to replace or mod that shelf to be a normal shelf instead. I need 2 new shelves, anyone has a a diy mod to make this cheaper and do it yourself perhaps ?
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Site Team

For the shelving you might try an RV salvage business. $90 for a wire shelf seems pretty extreme. You might be able to source the wider veggie bin, assuming they have one that's the correct size. Another thought is your local big box hardware store will have wire shelving that you might be able to cut to size, and it's cheap.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #4

Thank you Ljaz for your insight. Its much appreciated.

I am now thinking to mod the shelf that has the cut out for the tall milk jug, seeing that a new shelf is so pricey. Thinking of adding a small piece of white wire shelving and cut it out a little bit bigger than that milk jug opening and secure it on top of the existing shelf with plastic light weight tie downs perhaps. Or making some sort of an insert that is the same height as the existing shelf. Then that shelf will be a lot more useful to us. Storage space in the fridge is at a premium. It seems the fridge is always at max capacity, even for a 2 night trip LOL