Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Default Front Cap Flex

Hi,
My 2009 xtra 200 toyhauler front cap has been flexing along both sides of the front edge for several years, have had to chalk both sides a few times, now the center is starting to push in and I see signs inside of the inside paneling bowing in. the cap is made of a flexible vinyl panel, in my opinion to soft for the amount of wind it gets, not fiberglass like the side walls, I notice the newer units have a fiberglass cap, anyone else had this issue and know best way to repair. Can you get a fiberglass cap for it? It is really getting pushed in after I travel more than a few miles now.
Thanks
George

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

George, my 2007 210 had the same issue and the cause and repair were not minor. I removed the corner trim and found evidence of a leak so I proceeded to remove the front cap and found that a previous owner had a poor repair done by cutting out a piece of the luan panel that's below the cap. They replaced the bad piece with a sheet of styrofoam, replaced the cap and then shot a couple cans of expanding foam behind it followed by a couple tubes of sylicone caulk. It may have worked for him since he didn't tow it, just lived in it for the winter in Florida but when we started towing it the cap started to fold in and continued to get worse. I've removed and replaced the entire front end material with new luan and insulation and will attempt to reinstall the Filon front cap in the next few days.
Perhaps this isn't your issue but if it is, good luck.
In my opinion/ the molded fiberglass cap is now used because the old style filon or plastic wasn't holding up. I'm sure someone on this site with more knowledge than me can give you better information.
voyagers2 is offline   Reply With Quote