Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Default Front end leak

We have a leak in our 210WBS. The bed which sits against the front wall and under the non-opening window is wet and there is water in the front pass-thru storage. Will recaulking around the window help? Any other areas we need to check and reseal?

Thanks!
Cindy

CindyinMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #2

funny you should ask--last weekend the very front of the bed was damp, about the 4" in dia on the front edge of the bed. It was dry in the basement. we had a wool-like blanket pushed up against the front wall, and it had droplets on it--which indicates--water dropped on it from above. The only thing above it is the top of the front window. Water could not have dropped from the bottom of the window and landed where the blanket was wet.

It is the first it had been driven in rain. We took it to the dealer for other problems, and they tried to find the leak, but could not duplicate it with a hose. They chalked around the top of the window, and the screw heads. Some of the original chalking looked pretty thin. We won't know until we tow it again in the rain if the problem is fixed.

I know others will mention this--but perhaps a Leak Test is in order if the leak can't be found.

Next time you drive/have it in the rain (or try spraying a garden hose onto the front around the lights and the window) and put a paper towel, or piece of newspaper under/around the wet area to see where it is coming from.

Ron

Old 10-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #3

[quote="rondi"]funny you should ask--last weekend the very front of the bed was damp, about the 4" in dia on the front edge of the bed. It was dry in the basement."

Two weekends ago, about 6" across the whole top of the bed was wet when I went to go to bed. It had been raining as I towed, so I assumed the rain had come in while driving. There were drip marks on the wall under the window. Today my husband found the bed wet again, so I guess rain coming in while driving wasn't the source since the trailer hasn't moved since that last trip. Will have to try recaulking.
CindyinMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #4

Try looking at the side seams down the outside of the trailer. This was overlooked on mine and I spent A LOT of money before it was fixed. Look for rusty screws, a sure sign...My water leaks spread just as you described them.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #5

Had the same thing happen on our 2008. It was a small crack in the caulking at both upper corners of the window frame, it allowed water to seep in and run down the inside metal flange and then drip onto the bed. The cracks were so small that I couldn't see them without getting on a step ladder and looking real close. I carefully dug out the old caulking from the edge of the hinge plate and down the sides to the beginning of the bottom corner. I then ran a new bead of cauling from the hinge plate around the corner and down the side, did both sides. No leaks now.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #6

our 05 was leaking underneath that front window, and we paid a good bit to have the window replaced...

just a few months later, the interior wall was damp and soggy by the light above the recently re-sealed window. Turned out the roof had a few small leaks AND the running lights were leaking. The whole front had to be rebuilt and replaced with new material. It has been fine since...
bettyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #7

We had a 189FBS which leaked also. The front window needed to be caulked and the top running lights never had been caulked. Shame on me for not checking. With our new 230DS, it will be getting leak tested every year.
qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #8

Our ff x210WBS has been leaking from the front seam below the window, in both front closets, and in the lower storage compartment. I can't figure it out so I am going to take it in and have the entire thing resealed. We got a screaming deal on the trailer, now I know why. I will post what the service guy finds.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #9

Yours sounds like the top seam, where the front meets the roof. A leak there would allow water to seep into the closets and the front pass through. Usually a window leak will show on the inside window edges and wouldn't flow laterally into the closets.

Something I do to aid in keeping that front seam from damming water when it rains (or just from the air conditioner run-off) is make sure that when I set up, that the street side is just a little lower than the curb side and that the front is just a tad higher than the rear. This makes the water drain off the roof to the street side rear corner; that in turn does several things...keeps water from damming at the front edge sealant, which over time will work itself under and weakening the seal, makes the air conditioner condensation flow away from the seam and the curbside edge so that it doesn't drip on us when camped and it aids in emptying the tanks when at a full hook site by having the slope, in the tanks, toward the waste valves.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #10

But, does not being level affect your fridge performance?
colonel gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #11

Most refrigerators are only affected when the degree of un-levelness exceeds around 6 degrees...very noticeable to the user. I'm only talking about a degree or two, half a bubble at most and that's all it takes to keep the water flowing to the rear street side end of the TT. Not even noticeable to the end-user... Your refrigerator is much less level when towing and most of us tow with the refrigerator on LPG and it works just fine. A mere 1/4" high in the front and on the curbside is all it takes to keep water moving along in a non-damaging and non-irritating direction

Don
Bronwyn

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #12

I know others will mention this--but perhaps a Leak Test is in order if the leak can't be found.
jannypan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #13

Default Leaks repaired

Finally got to the bottom of my leak(s). Had five leaks...Two on the top seam where the roof meets the front fiberglass. The shop that worked on it previously had used way too much dicor and they likely put several layers on which you are not supposed to do with dicor self-leveling sealant. One 1/4 inch bead is all that should be applied. Also had a bad leak behind the front running light. It was not sealed properly. Had another leak around the front window frame. Had to remove the window, retape and reseal. The final leak was from the fan housing above the bed. Surprisingly, they are all relatively simple repairs and there is no structural damage because of the aluminum framing.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #14

I had same issue so I removed the window and found that it was only
caulked on the bottom and sides. Cleaned up the area and purchased caulking from local boat dealer, caulked all around frame and reinstalled
3/8ths an inch higher in the opening, never had another leak.
Also found same with passageway / storage area , same problem
only caulked at sides and bottom. Also raised them 1/2 inch in the opening, again no more leaks.
Do not know why they only caulked the sides and bottom, seamed
strange. figured it was in haste.

tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote