Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #1

Default Front windows mold...

Hello everyone?

Just bought a 2011 x139 and as we where cleaning things up for our first trip, we realize that the moldong under the front window was a little rotten. There is a bit off mold under the walls. Just on the ede off the pannel. The isolation is intact and the rest of the wood is clean.

Could it be just because of the accumulating condensation of the window in colder days? We sprayed mold control solition all around and let thing dry out with a fan. I had to replace the trim.

Is this something common?

Anyone add the same kind of issue and do you have any advise?

Many thanks

Fred
(Hope my english is not to bad...)

Fred03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #2

Fred, your English is great -- what is your first language?

If this is just a thin line of mold, then yes, this is probably from condensation. Has the trailer been stored in a warm wet area?

If it is a lot of mold, it could indicate a leak in the window frame. It is a big job to remove and re-seal the window, but it is not technically difficult. You will need two people. You unscrew the window, remove the frame, remove the window, and use butyl tape to re-seal the window.

I have done this job twice. My old T-139 had a leak, and we fixed it. Our new X-139 had a crack in the front window, and we replaced the glass.

You may want to spray a hose on the window, all around the frame, to see if water is leaking into the interior.

Good luck, and be sure to ask questions! If you do not understand what I have written, please feel free to say so, and I will be happy to explain it more clearly.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:09 AM   #3

Thanks for your answer. My First langage is french.

I will spray tons off water around the window and see what happen. If water gets in I will go for the entire job...

Do you know if the same color interior panel are available?

Again thanks!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #4

You can contact Cruiser RV to see if they have any vinyl fabric to match yours. Or you could use a contrasting panel of a different design. I think that you could buy some self-adhesive wallpaper at a hardware store.

Bon chance!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

If the wood is soft it is leaking for sure. Some mold can be from condensation. First find out if you have a leak. Also check your front clearance lights and the molding between the fiberglass and the metal. If you have a leak your insulation will be soaked. That will rot your wall. It's like a sponge. You can also use a moisture meter to determine if you have a leak.

Don't worry about matching the vinyl your chances of finding the same one us slim. Check with your rv dealer. Sometimes a contrasting one is just fine. I've used white before and liked it better.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #6

Hello! After investigating a little more, I have found the infiltration comings from the top of the windows. Put some butyl to test and there is no more water coming in. I will have to do a nice silicone job (does anyone as a recommandation on a specific silicone?).

I also have to change the lower front wall. I was lucky and got the exact same vinyl (left over from the supplyer). Will see if the floor is ok as I open the wall...

I will post picture and comments of the work in progress in case that anyone needs to do the same job. If anyone as done it before and have any recommendation, they are more than welcome.

Thanks

Fred
Old 07-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #7

I've never found that silicon works for outside. For the window you are better off removing it and sealing it properly with the butyl. Other joints you can use Sikaflex 221 or for roof the Dicor products.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #8

Silicon is great until you have to reseal again. Problem with silicon is that once it cures, it will not stick to itself or anything else. So if you have to reseal it again in the future, you will need to scrap and sand the area where the original silicon was used in order to get a good seal with the next sealant.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Thanks I will use sikaglex 221 !
Old 10-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator View Post
I've never found that silicon works for outside. For the window you are better off removing it and sealing it properly with the butyl. Other joints you can use Sikaflex 221 or for roof the Dicor products.
Yes! and the silicon wont wear as well as the proper stuff which is made to withstand bumpy jiggles and twisting on the joints.

dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote