Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #61

That's a neat gadget -- can it measure amperage as well as voltage? (Am I the only person who finds it hard to remember the difference between those two things? I have to look it up every time.)

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
That's a neat gadget -- can it measure amperage as well as voltage? (Am I the only person who finds it hard to remember the difference between those two things? I have to look it up every time.)
No Dan, it measures only voltage. Handy device to keep track of battery charge and to ensure the converter charger is outputting correctly to maintain the battery.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
Someone was concerned that pulling that spade connector might disconnect ground and cause bigger issues?

Yes, there are 2 wires - one a bit thicker than the other.
There should not be a ground issue. The only thing on that circuit (the J2 terminal from the circuit board) is the fridge light and the door climate control. The heavier gauge wire is likely for the door heater so if you wanted to throw caution to the wind you could cut that one. Otherwise just pull that spade connector to disconnect both the climate control and the fridge light. As mentioned earlier it would be a good idea to wrap it with some electrical tape.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #64

I have pulled the spade connector.

NOTHING is on but the fridge (with the light/heater plug pulled) and the CO alarm. The Progressive Industries surge guard thing is reading 4A.

Is this the same number of amps that would be being used if I was using just the battery (trailer unplugged from the wall plug)??? (I am very unclear about the relationship to all these electrical things between 120v and 12v).

Since I blew up my multimeter trying to measure the amps directly from the battery, I don't know any other way to do it.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 AM   #65
Site Team

No it's not the same. The converter draws some power and if the fridge is on automatic it most likely switched over to 120V so it will draw some current also. It doesn't really matter because once you unplug from shore power the fridge will switch to gas and the converter shuts off.

What you could do is plug that spade connector back in. close the fridge door and re-read your surge protector gauge. That difference will tell you how many amps you'll draw from the climate control.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #66

Default Inverter?

Can I add a 12v to 120v inverter to my "AC or propane only" Atwood HE-0601?
Kei2thehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #67

My two cents - if you can think it, it can probably be done. Doesn't mean it would be easy. If I was trying to engineer a solution, I'd probably end up buying a 12V power inverter (think the kind you plug into a vehicle's accessory (cigarette lighter) socket.) I would power that with a connection to the camper's battery, yeah, inline fuse to protect etc. I would locate the inverter near the area the refrigerator plugs in to the AC plug. When off grid, or when towing, you could manually unplug the refrigerator from the outlet it gets 120V (shore power) and plug it into the inverter (it will get the 12V from the batter and output as 120V?) Not sure how efficient that would be, what the drain on the battery would be or how long it would last.
And-in a lengthy reply-why would you want to do this? The refrigerator can be used in propane mode off-grid and while traveling (yes-some owners are against propane use while driving-that's another discussion.)
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:54 PM   #68

Default Thanks!

I forgot all about manual mode. Now maybe my Atwood HE 0601 will be working when I wake up. Luckily my Funfinder has the pull out outdoor kitchen with a small Black and Decker AC fridge.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei2thehwy View Post
I forgot all about manual mode. Now maybe my Atwood HE 0601 will be working when I wake up. Luckily my Funfinder has the pull out outdoor kitchen with a small Black and Decker AC fridge.
Nope, that didn't work. also checked the Buss fuses, all look fine. Control panel works, yet no error messages at all. I guess I will check the voltages on the master control board?

I can get a new one for 750, but rather spend less. Any ideas? Thanks!