Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

Default Fun and Games Until a Wheel Falls Off!

Just returned from a 3500 km trip (~2175 miles) with my 9 year old 214WDS and had a problem I thought would be worth sharing.

About 1500 km into the trip we pulled off the highway to get gas. After filling up I pulled away to the side and parked when I discovered a wheel had fallen completely off! Metal was broken, brake pads were melted, it was a mess.

I found an RV trailer repair shop 10 km a way and hobbled down the road on three wheels arriving just as they were closing. He allowed us to camp out in their driveway overnight and got to work on it first thing in the morning.

One new wheel, brakes and four bearings later we were on the road again spending only $525 on the repairs!!

The one bearing was completely seized and burned out, the other three were close to doing the same.

I had all four wheels pulled and new bearings installed only 2 years ago, and now admit that I was being naive about how frequently I should have been repacking or replacing bearings.

From now on, re-grease every spring and replace probably every other year.

So, lesson learned, and we were VERY lucky this thing didn't fly off while on the highway. Dodge a bullet this time. I will make sure it never happens again.

PS. If ever in Moncton NB I highly recommend Ed's Travel Trailer repair shop! https://www.edstraveltrailer.com/ A little ma & pop operation that really delivered in an emergency!

Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #2

Well done, and thank goodness no one was hurt!

Old 08-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #3

So, do you know what happened to the 4th wheel? Did it just fly off into the unknown?

Interesting experience. Good thing you have a twin axle trailer with 4 wheels.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #4

You were most fortunate the bearings didn't seize on the axle and ruin the axle too.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
So, do you know what happened to the 4th wheel? Did it just fly off into the unknown?

Interesting experience. Good thing you have a twin axle trailer with 4 wheels.

As I mentioned. The wheel actually fell off when I was at the gaa station not on the highway so I recovered the wheel
DiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #6

Very lucky that it didn't come on the highway. As for replacing the bearings ever two years, that is overkill. Good quality wheel bearings should last 40-60K miles, provided they are maintained. Just easy lube or repack every spring and check hub temperature whenever you stop for gas.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #7

You make a great case for investing in a tire pressure monitoring system. Glad everything ended up well for you. I invested in a TST system that monitors the pressure as well as the temperatures so that if a wheel bearing begins to go bad, the system notifies you that the temperatures are increasing. And with a dual axle setup, it's possible to have a flat or in your case, lose a tire without realizing it. Wow - still glad it went well.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner421 View Post
You make a great case for investing in a tire pressure monitoring system. Glad everything ended up well for you. I invested in a TST system that monitors the pressure as well as the temperatures so that if a wheel bearing begins to go bad, the system notifies you that the temperatures are increasing. And with a dual axle setup, it's possible to have a flat or in your case, lose a tire without realizing it. Wow - still glad it went well.

What system do you have?

Will it work with balance beads in the tires to maintain their balance at all times???
Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner421 View Post

I have a TPMS for the trailer that came with my new truck (haven't installed the sensors yet).

But never heard of anything that monitors the temperature?

Might look into that.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverRick View Post
I have a TPMS for the trailer that came with my new truck (haven't installed the sensors yet).

But never heard of anything that monitors the temperature?

Might look into that.
Per their web site, the system monitors tire pressure and tire temperature INSIDE the tire........not wheel bearing temperature.

Fine if willing to spend $300 + for the system.

https://tsttruck.com/how-it-works
Old 08-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #11

The TST system is what I have. It does require metal valve stems and while it does monitor the temperature of the air inside the tire, if a wheel bearing is going bad you can bet it will heat the air, the rim, and then the metal valve stem will read the temperature increase and let you know something bad is happening. I'm sure there are cheaper systems out there. I justified the cost by driving by many RV owners with damaged wheels, wheel wells/trim that were destroyed by the flapping remnants of a blown tire. It also reminds me to consider adding air due to altitude increase/decrease and temperatures as well. Biggest thing it gives me is piece of mind.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #12

We too have the TST for our moho. It's nice with the replaceable batteries and the "thru sensor" valve so we don't have to remove the sensor to add air.

I don't believe the info about monitoring the air time "inside" the tire tho. Yeah the temp of the wheel and the valve stem will be the temp the sensor sees--not the internal air temp. They are probably close--may indeed indicate when an increase in bearing temp MAY make it's way to the sensor--out there spinning in the air.

I think a much better way to check bearing & tire temps when parked is with an infrared temp meter---about $16 or so.
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...s%2C312&sr=8-3
Old 08-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #13

I check tires and pressure before leaving home and each morning again before taking off. At fuel stops, easy to thump the tires (like the truckers do) and check bearing temps with an infrared temp meter as indicated above by rondi.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #14

I like the earlier post that recommended buying a IR gun and check the hub temp whenever you stop. BTW, hubs will get warm (or even somewhat hot) to the touch when they are run on the highway. I would say if your hub is over 140 F, than it is probably something to worry about.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote