Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2021, 08:03 PM   #1

Default Gas question

Hi Everyone:
My wife and I just purchased a 2007 shadow cruiser X-189 FBS (our first travel trailer) and are looking forward to taking it out on the road. I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.
I am going to replace the old (2005) Safe Alert gas alarm inside and the propane regulator with pigtails. There doesn't seem to be an in-line solenoid for the propane line outside, however, sitting on top of the gas regulator there is a black cylindrical wired device that I am assuming to be a safety-oriented solenoid. I haven't seen anything like this before and I am wondering what I need to do when replacing the regulator as there doesn't seem to be anything like this available.
I have a new side-mounted gas grill that I wanted to test out, but it isn't receiving any gas from the outside connection (even when I remove the solenoid). There is gas in the tanks, and I opened the tank valve slowly so I am assuming that the regulator is not functioning properly.
I would be grateful for any help that someone could provide regarding what to do with this device when replacing the regulator.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2255.jpg   IMG_2256.jpg  

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:59 PM   #2

Since this is potentially an important safety issue, I hope you be sure to get accurate and trustworthy advice. I have owned many trailers and have never had one with an electric propane shut off solenoid. I am aware that a company that long ago went out of business used to sell and install them on RVs. Maybe that is what you have. My 2007 X189 Fun Finder which came off the same assembly line as your Shadow Cruiser that same year did not have such a solenoid. Good luck.

2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #3

Thanks. It is good to know that your funfinder didn't come with one of these. I checked with a propane gas/RV person, and although he hadn't seen one of these before, he was fairly certain that it was a monitor or gauge of some sort, detecting pressure/flow in the regulator--not a shut-off solenoid. This makes the most sense. Although there is no gauge in the camper, mounted on the wall there is a battery-operated "control" that has a flashing yellow light. I suspect that the gauge is hooked up to that. Unfortunately, this gauge doesn't fit on the new regulator that I purchased.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #4
Site Team

There used to be aftermarket (I think) systems that would connect to your LP gas alarm in the trailer that would operate a solenoid to shut off the propane if the alarm went off. That may be what you have. I bought my trailer new and it did not come with one.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

There is another shut-off valve under the trailer where the gas line to the side stove hooks up to. Have you opened that valve as well?
H2814D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:21 PM   #6

Your changeover valve is a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253. The clear indicator on top, under the black cap, has red and green bands. The red shows when the selected tank goes empty. The valve automatically draws from the other tank to keep propane flowing. When you flip the manual valve over, the green band will show and you can remove the empty tank to refill. This valve is available on Amazon. Since your picture shows a red band, I suspect your tanks are actually low. I would fill them and try your grill again. Be sure the connector shutoff is open after you connect the grill. Marshall makes no reference to that black cap with wires. I suspect it is a switch that controls a warning light inside when the red band displays, letting you know to refill.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:28 AM   #7

Many thanks for your helpful comments. I replaced the regulator and pigtails and now the stove and grill are working. I have not yet tried the heater. Unfortunately, the black cap with wires doesn't fit on the new regulator.
But now I have another question. There is a battery powered "Marshall controls" box (see attached photo) mounted on the inside with a yellow flashing light. I would like to think that this is monitoring the gas via the black cap with wires, but it doesn't see to respond changes in the black cap with wires. What is this monitoring?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2269.jpg  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #8

That box is the light that warns of an empty cylinder. The wires go to the black cap. It is powered by batteries inside the box. Hence the notice to remove batteries when in storage. I would remove the box and it's wiring going to the black cap. Avoid future confusion over what that wiring is for.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:07 AM   #9

Thank you for the very helpful reply. Mystery solved.