Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2011, 04:09 PM   #1

Default Generator 160xfs

my generator is 2200 unit, everytime I plug in trailer to generator breaker on generator outlet pops, turned off everything on trailer panel, tried turning on 1 breaker at a time, every breaker I turned on popped breaker on generator. If I plug in tv or bed inflator ect. directly to gen no problem. Help!!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you have the same problem if you plug the trailer into shore power? Or does this only happen with the generator?

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #3

Default generator 160x

Shore power is fine, so I think your going to tell me there is a problem with the generator. I was told the generator would do the job, it certainly seems big enough. Now I only plugged the trailer into the regular outlet on the gen but it does have another single round outlet on it but I did not have an adaptor to fit it. Would that make a difference?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
TCP

Default Re: generator 160x

Any chance your generator is a 220V unit? Can you get a picture of the "round" outlet. I'm assuming it's not a regular RV 30 amp round outlet or you wouldn't need an adapter.

The other option is that you have the live wire and return wire (black and white in an electrical cord) reversed. RV's often have the return and ground (white and green) wires shorted together and this might be causing a problem is the outlet on the generator has the "live" on the wrong prong. Basically your generator is getting the live wire shorted directly to ground whenever you are turning on a breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzer
Shore power is fine, so I think your going to tell me there is a problem with the generator. I was told the generator would do the job, it certainly seems big enough. Now I only plugged the trailer into the regular outlet on the gen but it does have another single round outlet on it but I did not have an adaptor to fit it. Would that make a difference?
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #5

Who is the manfacturer and what is the model of your Gen set?
ArizAl
ArizAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #6

Default generator 160xfs

Brand name Champion propane powered 2200peak 1900running
model 70009
60hrz
single phase
120v
16 amp
Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #7

I would think that you should be able to run everything on your trailer but the air conditioner with your gen set. If you plug into the duplex plug that should be 15 Amp capacity. Your gen set only has an 18 amp max surge capacity and about 15 Amp continous capacity at sea level so it might be of limited use if you travel to areas higher than 5,000 feet. Do you have a meter to check the output voltage? It could be that your RPM is low which would lower you voltage and increase you amperage draw and pop the reset button.
Good Luck,
ArizAl
ArizAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #8

Did you try plugging something else into the generator, maybe a flood light or electric drill and see if it runs that. It sounds like your trailer is fine if it runs on shore power. Also check output with a meter like ArizAl recommended, could be your voltage is low.

2008 189FBR
2007 FJ cruiser
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller
Yamaha EF2400is generator
chupp21 is offline   Reply With Quote