Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Site Team

Default Generator experience?

I've been doing some online research for generators and looks like the best deal is a Champion model 40010. This is a 3500 W (4000 W peak) rated generated that will operate for 12 hrs @ 50% load and is fairly quiet at 68 db. It weighs 100 lbs and, of course, has the 120 V, 30A RV plug. It's priced around $500 new. I will be using it mainly to run the AC in the summer on my X210 WBS.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Here's a link to the Champion website:
http://www.championpowerequipment.com/40010.php

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #2

I have that exact generator and I can say it will provide ample power for your trailer. Contrary to the advertised 68db noise level, this generator is LOUD! I am not sure how they measure the db rating, but I can say this unit is louder than my gasoline lawn mower, and if you have anyone camping by you within 50 to 100 yards, they might not appreciate the noise. If you decide to get that generator, Cabelas sells them for $399. If you are going to be in the Phx area, you can drop by and see and hear the generator for yourself, just shoot me a PM and we'll set it up.

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Wow thanks Al! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. If it's that loud then I guess I'd better keep looking. Thanks for the offer of the demo too, but I guess your description says it all. It won't do any good to have AC if the noise from the generator will keep us awake anyhow. I should have known that price was too good to be true.

There just doesn't seem to be much out there with enough power that's quiet besides Honda - which are pretty pricey. Maybe it's time to start saving the pennies and checking under the sofa cushions.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #4

No problem!! I was in the same position, looking at Honda, Cummings, Robins Subaru and some others and all were north of $1000 for the size I wanted. I have used ours a couple times, each time we were out by ourselves so the sound was not too big an issue. Good luck with your search, have you checked on craigslist?
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soze
No problem!! I was in the same position, looking at Honda, Cummings, Robins Subaru and some others and all were north of $1000 for the size I wanted. I have used ours a couple times, each time we were out by ourselves so the sound was not too big an issue. Good luck with your search, have you checked on craigslist?
Craigslist was the ticket! Yesterday I scored a Honda EU300is. This thing was brand new - had only run for less than 20 minutes when the seller first purchased it just to warm it up. Came with all the paperwork a cover and full tank of gas. And wow this thing is unbelievably quiet. Now I'm ready for the Arizona summer!