Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

Default Generator popping fuses

We don't take our 160 out but a few times a year and we augment the battery with a generator. It's not an inverter generator but we have used it several times with no issues. The first time we had it out this summer we blew a 15-amp fuse in the trailer every time we fired up the generator. Every thing ran with the generator power but when I turned it off the fuse was blown. I tried to recreate the issue at home with the generator and there were no blown fuses. Shore power works fine. Took it out this past weekend and had the same problems as this summer. If I change the fuse while the generator is running it charges the battery, but doesn't seem to if I run it with a blown fuse.
Any ideas?

GeorgieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #2
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

How do you connect the trailer to the generator? Where is the blown fuse located?

Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

I connect the units with the shore cord that came with the trailer; I've used it before without issue. The fuse in question is in the inverter panel where the breakers are. It's the bottom 15 amp fuse. I have no idea what systems it controls, but when it blows there's no power to the trailer.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

I am not familiar with the fuse panel in your specific trailer so what I am going to write is just a WAG. The fuse that blows may be a main fuse to your trailer, that is the only way one fuse could blow and take out the complete power system to the trailer. I would guess that the generator is sending a surge when you first connect the plug to the generator. This would blow a main fuse. It is also the reason why inverter generators are suggested for a trailer. This is is also the only way I could think would not blow a replacement fuse.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #5

Is there any chance you are plugging in the shore power cord to the generator before starting it? It is possible for the generator to surge on startup and send higher voltage. I would start the generator and let it stabilize, run smooth with the choke wide open. Then plug in the cord. Our previous trailer was an X-160 and I recall the power center fuses were marked on the label with their purpose & size. Maybe yours is? Maybe someone installed the wrong size fuse? Just ideas. Hope it helps.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #6

Thanks, N&K and Code2e. We're planning to get an inverter generator, so that might take care of the problem. My power center is unlabeled other than fuse size, and I'm using the correct size. I think I have been plugging in the shore power cord before starting the engine, and I think I have tried not engaging the generator until after the engine runs smoothly, but a power surge at some point seems to be the likely culprit. I guess I just need to use it more to become more familiar with the process.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
APD

Smile

The fuses are on the 12 volt side on the campers converter. The converter converts the alternating current (AC) from shore power or generator to direct current (DC) from the campers low voltage systems.
My guess would be a power drop from your generator. If the problem doesn't occur on shore power then the gen set may be dropping off quickly when it's switched over. A drop in AC voltage to the converter will equal a drop in DC voltage of it's output. The lower output will then cause a quick momentary rise in amp draw to any connected device. That quick rise in amp draw can cause the fuse to blow. If the battery is waiting for a charge then it would be the hungriest and it make sense that it's the first to blow.
Visit your local rental center and rent a small inverter type generator for a day and perform a DIY test.

Alan

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote