Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which Generator is best?
Honda 6 75.00%
Yamaha 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Default Generators Redux

This was covered some time ago but I thought perhaps another round is in order as models and options have changed.

My local FF dealer likes the Yamaha models, particularly the EF2000is. Online price is about $890 from www.yamahagenerators.com. Compared to the Honda EU2000i with a list price of $1149, the Yamaha looks good. Most of the specs are identical between the two. I'm sure the Honda can be had for less but I'm thinking still more than the Yamaha.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not out for the cheapest here, I'm out for the best in the long run. I only want to buy one of these in my lifetime (I read a lengthy horror story from someone that had purchased a similar sized Honeywell model).

So let's start the discussion. Obviously first hand experience with generators is especially helpful for folks in my position, but also let's talk about how these dudes are used. My wife and I are dry camping types so anything 12 volt is good but add a generator and expand the range.

kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #2

I can't speak to the Yamaha...don't own one, but, I do, however, have a Honda EU3000is that I use for backup power at my home here in the woods. From an engineering standpoint, it doesn't take rocket scientists to design these things and Yamaha and Honda have all the science and engineering necessary to put together a good unit and they have been "competing" now for a couple of years in the "quiet, fuel efficient, stabilized portable voltage" arena. Quality engineering in both is apparent.

IMHO, it comes down to how well you like the design (red or blue?), the layout of the controls and faceplate arrangement and, of course, cost. I don't think you can go wrong with either. My 3000is provides backup power for my whole house (and has done so reliably for 5 years now), including the standalone freezer, refrigerator, 120v well pump, two computers and my entire entertainment system and a few lights to see with. The only thing it isn't running is the water heater (240v) and the stove, again 240v. Had a comparable model from Yamaha been available at the time I bought my EU3000is, at a significant cost reduction, I'd probably have been just as happy with a blue one That is the one danger to "competition" in a market place. You can sell on your "name" for a while, but, when a price war starts, eventually quality suffers. That, however, is a different topic...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #3

Default yamaha generator

I bought the Yamaha over a year ago because the price was $150 lower than the Honda. Also, Yamaha is a reputable name, and as far as I know, they don't make a bad product. So far, the generator has been fine, works flawlessly and is quiet and efficient. The only concern was a friend told me that there are many more places to get the Honda serviced compared to the Yamaha (not sure if this is true). As of now, I have no regrets.
donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Will the 2000i Honda power a 13.5 AC unit? The Honda 3000 is a great unit, and will power everything you want to run on a TT, but very heavy.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther93
Will the 2000i Honda power a 13.5 AC unit? The Honda 3000 is a great unit, and will power everything you want to run on a TT, but very heavy.
Probably not. Startup wattage for a 13500 btu AC is probably around 2200 watts which is 200 watts above what the Honda 2000i is rated for. Of course you can hook 2 of them together. And with 4000 W you can run your AC, microwave, and practically anything else you'd want to run all that same time!

I have the Honda 3000 and it runs the AC just fine and can go all night on a single tank of gas. A must for dry camping in the summer in Arizona.

As for Honda vs. Yamaha, I have to say I've never seen a Yamaha generator and looking at the specs for the 3000's they seem to be pretty equal with the exception of weight. Honda: 134 lbs; Yamaha: 150 lbs. On the 2000's the weight difference isn't much. Honda: 46 lbs; Yamaha: 44 lbs. Not sure if you can hook 2 Yamaha 2000's together though. Quality-wise I don't think you could go wrong with either brand.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #6

I have had the Honda 2000 for over four years. Best investment I ever made. We boondock almost all the time here in Mexico as there are few rv parks in the northern part of the country.

We downgraded our A/C to a Polar Cub that was around 7700btus. Still too much for our little 189FBR at the time, we now own a 230DS. I couldn't take the noise, the droning sound inside the trailer not to mention that fact that it was just too darn cold.

The best thing we ever did was purchase a 5000btu window unit for 79 dollars and would install it in the emergency exit window during hot days. I made a cutout for the A/C and the Honda runs the small unit for 12 to 14 hours and never revs up.

With the new Funfinder, we will increase the size of the window unit although it will only fit in the bedroom where the emergency exit window is. In the 189FBR it cooled the trailer perfectly well, obviously much more at night than those hot northern Mexico days. Parking in the shade helps tons.

Reading this thread has made me feel guilty about the care I give my generator. I am giving it an oil change this week and as soon as I can find some Sea Foam, I will add that to give it a good cleaning.

[/img]

qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote