Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Default Got a flat on the last trip

So the wife and I were going down to NW Montana from Alberta. Just crossed the boarder and stopped for some cheap US gas. Just pulled back on to the road aiming to complete our journey, when I saw a guy flashing his lights and waving his arms frantically. I was stuck behind a couple Model T's, so at first I figured he just wanted to pass. I moved over, but he didn't stop his waving, so I took the hint. Pulled over and saw this:

Luckily I had everything I needed to make the swap and checked all my pressures (including the spare) before leaving on the trip. Another guy pulled over to offer a hand who happened to work at a tire shop in Eureka 5 miles back, said they'd have my size and to stop by in the morning. A 30 min stop the next day and we were back on the road! Big thanks to Ranch Hand in Eureka! Friendly people all over the Kootnaei National Forest!

I'll be looking to upgrade the rest of the tires shortly...

Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #2

Default Wow!

Glad no one was hurt -- did the tire damage the wheel well? What kind of tires were you using? How old were they? Lucky that you had a double axle -- I don't, and a blowout is a big problem immediately. It has happened to me once, fortunately at low speed on a deserted road with no traffic and a place to pull over. It destroyed the wheel well. Since then, I have up-armored the wells with mud-flap material secured to the metal, hoping that next time, the well will stand up to the abuse.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

Hmmm, I Never really thought to look at the wheel well, but didn't notice anything with the rest of the trip.

Yeah, with the tandem axles and WD hitch, I didn't even notice anything happened. It wasn't swaying or anything. I'm sure they're the stock tires that came with it in 06 - I purchased it less than 2 years ago.
Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #4

Default Tire Pressure Monitors

Firm believer in tire pressure monitors for campers. You're right, with dual axles, you might never know a tire is loosing air or a complete flat. I have some (expensive-but cheaper than trailer damage.) They even monitor temperature in case a wheel bearing heats up and causes a fire . . .
http://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote