Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Default Grr! How do I drain all the water from the fresh water tank?

Before anyone makes a snarky comment like open the drain valve, here is the dilemma. I have a 2014 189FDS, had a slit in the sidewall of the fresh water tank that leaked slightly, so working through my dealer Cruiser shipped a new tank to Fargo to have another dealer install it since my dealer is 800 miles away. I was hoping the drain hole was going to be in a different location. Picture the rectangular size of the fresh water tank. My drain plug is located about 2 inches in from the center of the back edge of the tank. It is not located in the low point of the tank, which would be smack dab in the middle of the whole tank in the low spot as it does bow in the center. So when I drain the tank, it leaves at least a couple of gallons of water in the low spot of the tank. There has been 2 times that for some reason it all drained out as it looked like some vacuum had been created and the center of the tank sucked up and sent the water to the back, Is there a magic formula to make this vacuum event happen everytime. I was hoping when Cruiser sent the new water tank that the drain hole would have been in a different location, or no drain hole at all and the dealer could have put it in a more logical spot. How about the low point? Duhhhh. But nope, the same spot as the first one, so I am assuming anyone else with the 189FDS is experiencing the same thing. My main question is this:
1) Is your drain plug in the same location as mine? If so, how do you get all the water out?

One other thing that bugs me. My outlet that feeds the trailer from the fresh water tank is located on the back vertical side wall at least an inch above the lower edge. When you factor in the bow in the tank, the pump stops drawing water with probably 5 to 10 gallons of water left. That seems wierd, again why not put that hose in a more favorable spot that would use, most if not all of the water in the tank.

In 2 weeks we are leaving on a 3 week trip. We have been out 3 weekends so this will be our first big jaunt and we just upgraded to a new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel that I am pretty stoked with. First towing trip got 15.5 mpg compared to 7-9 with my Ridgeline.

bruce3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
roy

I usually open the drain if I have fresh water on board at the time I empty the black and gray tanks at dump station. On the way out while driving along with fresh water valve open it seems to slosh the little bit of water that would normally puddle in the low spots towards the drain. By the time I arrive home no water is left in fresh tank. For the folks following me getting a little water spray on their windshields, to bad it's just clean water

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to shadow

My drain is n center so I don't have that problem. As to the pick up line I added a 3/8 line through the pick up line with a brass nipple and sleeve on the water end so it will always seek the center and low point of the tank, I have about 1/2 gallon left in tank if I use all the water. For you drain problem You could get a new drain and install it in the center just be sure you use the right glue that will bond the poly components.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to shadow

My drain is n center so I don't have that problem. As to the pick up line I added a 3/8 line through the pick up line with a brass nipple and sleeve on the water end so it will always seek the center and low point of the tank, I have about 1/2 gallon left in tank if I use all the water. For you drain problem You could get a new drain and install it in the center just be sure you use the right glue that will bond the poly components.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote