Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Help Newbie Stupid Question

Ok we have a 2007 189X FunFinder with a slide. We have used this camper one time and could not figure it out. Crazy I know. We have it parked in the yard trying to figure it out before our next trip next weekend. We cannot figure out how to fill the fresh water tank. Do you have to fill it manually from the outside. We have it hooked up to city water, the camper that is. Also, we cannot seem to get hot water. WE have it on electric but cannot figure out where the bypass valve is. I know we feel really stupid. Can someone help up us. There are valves but they are all red. Which one do you turn off? Help.

Thank you
Desperate in Panama City

terryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
M&M

Default water fill and water heater

Hi,

Filling fresh water:
Yes, the water tank is filled from the outside of the camper. The filler is usually close to the city water connection. It likely will be a hinged round cover about the diameter of a coffee cup.

Water heater:
I would start by hitching up a garden hose to the city water and opening the hot water faucet and try and get some water out of it. It may force out a lot of air before you get water out of the faucet. You can also lift up the safety release valve on top of the water heater and run the hose until water comes out the top of the tank. This will make help make sure the water heater tank is filled as it is possible to burn out the electric element if the tank does not have water in it. If you get water this way, you may not have to locate the bypass.

It sounds like you have located the water heater electric switch. If not, it is usually located on the water heater itself but can be hard to find. Some FunFinder models (like ours) have an electric switch inside the camper, but this switch may only be for the igniter when running the heater on gas.

Good luck,
Mike

Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Most important point: there are no stupid questions. We were all once newbies. We enjoy answering questions to save others from the misteaks we have already made!

Welcome to the club!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #4

Thank you I think after many hours I have figured out the hot water heater. One more question. Do you have to have the fresh water tank filled in order to run your hot water heater. I am assuming since you have water running in from the hose that should be enough water to run. Do you only use the fresh water tank when you are boon docking? I know it might sound stupid but his is our first go at this.

Desperate in Panama City Floirda
Old 03-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
M&M

Default Questions

Hi again,

You do not need to have water in your fresh water tank to run your water heater if you have water coming into the system from the hose.

When we are camping, we will use the "city water" if available. If not, we will fill the fresh water tank and run the pump for our water supply. A lot of sites don't have a city water hookup, so it is always good to check it out when you arrive so you can fill your tank before unhitching the camper.

We prefer not to carry too much water in the fresh water tank when driving as it adds a lot of unnecessary weight.

Mike
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #6

Thank you so very much. I was on the right track. We usually only camp where there is water and electricity. I appreciate you help so very much. We are going to get this thing figured out.

Thank you
Desperate in Florida