Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #1

Default HELP with electrical vodoo

Recently purchased this 2011 XTRA Toy Hauler and was putting the finishing touches on the new solar system. Hooked the battery into the system and started a fast voltage drain. Disconnected and started looking for the short.
Not finding anything but ohmmeter keeps showing connection between + & -.
After trying everything either myself or google can come up with I finally just removed every connection from the circuit board; both the positive and ground cables and all the fuses. This (according to my limited electrical knowledge) should take away any possible connection between the main hot and ground posts.

As you can see from the rear view there is a definite air gap between the ground lug on the bottom right and the positive lug on the bottom left. No connection whatsoever between them:

And yet...

I even tried a different ohmmeter.
How is this possible?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220821_120336.jpg   IMG_20220821_120527.jpg   IMG_20220821_120720.jpg  

Roxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:22 AM   #2

Couple questions. 1. Was there a problem before you added the solar array? 2. Did you hook up your array to a solar controller before connecting it to the trailer electrical system? 3. What are those pictures of (converter board or solar controller board)?

Normally when adding a solar array, you go through a solar controller, then directly to the battery. The reason is the solar array will be sending out 18-24 volts and it needs to be knocked down to 12-13 volts by the controller before adding it to the trailer DC system.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:18 PM   #3

Those pictures were the circuit board from the RV. The solar system was installed correctly and I found the problem.

You know how high quality battery cables have super fine individual strands? And in stripping those you get little tiny pieces of those strands?
When I looked real close I found one of those tiny little strands stuck to t he negative terminal connecting across.
So small that it's hard to believe it didn't burn up when it's shorted
Roxtar is offline   Reply With Quote