Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Help with Power Center / Transformer / Converter

Hi All -

HELP please! Do I need to replace the entire converter or can I get away with just replacing the transformer part. (again) Longer version - We have a 30A Parallax 7100 series power center. About 5 years ago, I replaced the bottom half (transformer) and it worked fine for about 4 years. Then it started putting out less and less DC. It's down to about 10v and won't keep the battery charged. I would like to be able to just replace the transformer part, and not have to rewire all the breakers and fuses. So the real question is, what is the top part? Is there any area that can degrade performance? Or is it basically just a breaker/fuse box.

(LJAZ - 4 days ago I emailed bestconverter.com and also left a phone message this morning, have not heard back from them yet)

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide

Liz

Old 05-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Team

Liz,
Usually Best Converter is pretty prompt when you need advice. Not sure why the delay. Hopefully they will get back to you soon.

It could very well be that your converter section has gone bad (what you're referring to as the transformer) but there's other things that could cause voltage problems like a bad battery. You might want to have that tested before you spend money on replacing the converter section. Just a thought.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

Don't worry, I'm Frugal we've tested everything. It's the converter. It only puts out 10 volts we've tested it with a multimeter.. Batteries are both good we only use one at a time anyway. But it will not keep either one of them charged
Old 05-13-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
Site Team

Yeah, sounds like the converter has given up the ghost. So now you have to decide if you want to replace it with the same thing or an upgrade.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
Yeah, sounds like the converter has given up the ghost. So now you have to decide if you want to replace it with the same thing or an upgrade.
well, I'm going to replace it with something that will hopefully last more than four years lol. The question actually is whether I have to replace the top section or is it just a breaker box / fuse panel? In other words is there anything in it that will wear out? Because in that case I might want to replace the whole thing. If there's nothing in the top except a breaker box / fuse panel then I don't have to worry about replacing that section and it's a whole lot easier.

The guy from Best Converters got back to me and said that he didn't think the top needed to be replaced. The unit he suggests costs $100 more than the one I ordered from Amazon, but it's made America, and I'm willing to pay the difference. I really try not to send money to a country that does forced human organ harvesting.

Liz
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Team

Yes the top part is just the fuses and circuit breakers. No need to replace the whole thing. Which brand converter did he recommend? When I upgraded mine I went with Progressive Dynamics which cost around $200 IIRC 5 years ago. There may be better options now.
The other thing to be careful about on amazon is that some of what's sold may be counterfeit. Especially if it's a lot cheaper than the same model offered by other sellers.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #7

I relate to being frugal and have thought what I might do when my WFCO Converter dies! If you search 12 Volt Power Supply in Ebay and then only pay attention to name brand computer grade power supplies you will find many for under $100 (many under $50) that output 12VDC at greater than 30 Amps. Stay away from the Chinese ones that say they were designed for powering LED systems. Name brands include Power One, Lamda, Acopian, etc. My thought was just to remove the lower Main Board Assembly and then connect the 12VDC from the Power Supply to the DC output board so that the same terminal block and fuses are used. If the ad only states output Watts, just divide the Watts by 12 to know the Amps (e.g., 12VDC at 1000 Amos would provide over 80 Amps). If the Power Supply you select also has another voltage output then the additional one can be left disconnected. Many Power Supplies will enable you to adjust the voltage to slightly more, as many 12VDC supplies have an adjustment range of +/- 1V. My feeling is that a used name brand Power Supply is better designed and will last longer than most which are in trailer converters. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #8

I replaced my Parallax 7100 with Parallax Power Supply* (081-7155-000 Replacement Power Center Lower Section from Parallax, bought thru Amazon for free shipping, was around $250. Very easy to install, good instructions from Parallax. I had the same low charging voltage problem. I think dirty power in a campground messed up the original unit which lasted 9 years! No need to remove the circuit breaker/fuse panel. I now have a have a surge protector that I use in campgrounds. I mostly boondock camp with a generator and never considered a protector for campgrounds.
Rocky Mtn marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #9

On another thread H2814D has said that he knows how to do repairs on the WFCO Converters. I suggest you might contact him.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:42 PM   #10

I just sent Rocky Mtn a private message. Let's see what happens.

H2814D is offline   Reply With Quote