Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Talking Hey all you creative Modders - I need ideas!

I bought a heated towel rack. (I have a much larger heated drying rack that doesn't really fit in the FunFinder.) I thought I would replace the swinging towel rack I built. Heated racks are nice in the winter or if you're camping someplace really humid. Or if you're just spoiled LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Swinging_Towel_Heated_Dryer_Rack_WackyPup_7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	1520

So, I figured if I could make it swing, it could be kept in the shower and then when we bathe, we can swing it out over the toilet.

Name:	tn_Swinging_Towel_Heated_Dryer_Rack_WackyPup_1.jpg
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1521

Anyway - this is how I did it, but the mounts are not the best idea. They have only one attachment point, so they tend to get wonky and not allow the rack to swing correctly.

Name:	tn_Swinging_Towel_Heated_Dryer_Rack_WackyPup_4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	1522

(no, this rack is not really designed to swing, but eh it's worth a try)

So, any ideas for an attachment device that would have 2 points of attachment, so that they wouldn't get out of alignment?

Name:	tn_Swinging_Towel_Heated_Dryer_Rack_WackyPup_6.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1523

I doubled them up, and that is working, but not the best fix.

Thanks for any help!

Liz

Old 01-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Talking

Okay, so this is my next version - I think it's going to work, with maybe a little tweaking.

Name:	tn_Swinging_Towel_Heated_Dryer_Rack_WackyPup_v2_2.jpg
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	1524

The towel rack heats to about 130 degrees. The water in the water heater is 120-140 degrees. So I figure that PVC is fine to hold the towel rack. It's basically a 100-watt light bulb. Also, it's not going to be on very often, and not without supervision. (as much as I supervise anything LOL)

Name:	tn_Swinging_Towel_Heated_Dryer_Rack_WackyPup_v2_3.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1525

So - made PVC collars to 'pad' the brackets so they don't damage/scar the metal rack and stays aligned correctly. I mounted the brackets farther apart, cut pvc in half, inserted into the brackets and reassembled the whole thing. Now I will have a nice warm towel after my shower tonight.

My sister insists that I unplug it when I shower .....

LOL

Liz

Old 01-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #3

Now that is luxury!! The only time I have ever seen a heated towel rack was in the Fairmont Hotel in Calgary, when we were on a fancy Canadian Rockies bike tour with Backroads. We felt like we were out of our league -- Motel 6 doesn't have hot towels.

Anyway, great mod, great use of PVC. I would suggest cap nuts on the exposed ends of those bolts, to avoid the risk of scratching tender parts of your body upon exiting the shower??

I should add that in cold weather, I heat DW's shower towel by draping it over the furnace while she showers. Rather a low-tech method, but it works! No risk of fire -- we run the furnace for five minutes a day, just during her shower. My shower is a lot faster than hers -- no hair! So no furnace for me. (I should also add that we are boondocking most of the time, so electricity is at a premium.)
Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Now that is luxury!! The only time I have ever seen a heated towel rack was in the Fairmont Hotel in Calgary, when we were on a fancy Canadian Rockies bike tour with Backroads. We felt like we were out of our league -- Motel 6 doesn't have hot towels.

Anyway, great mod, great use of PVC. I would suggest cap nuts on the exposed ends of those bolts, to avoid the risk of scratching tender parts of your body upon exiting the shower??

I should add that in cold weather, I heat DW's shower towel by draping it over the furnace while she showers. Rather a low-tech method, but it works! No risk of fire -- we run the furnace for five minutes a day, just during her shower. My shower is a lot faster than hers -- no hair! So no furnace for me. (I should also add that we are boondocking most of the time, so electricity is at a premium.)
Awwww how nice you warm up the towel I'm actually looking forward to just having a DRY towel. Hubby figured out how I can attach the old pvc swinging rack I made above this one, so we'll have the best of both worlds.

Someday you'll have to show us how to be brave enough to dry camp in the boonies like you do - you have amazing photos!

Liz