Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #1

Default Hitch for a 2007 FF

Was wondering if I could add a hitch to my 2007 FF 189 FBR. I have seen another similar 2006 FF with a hitch that could hold a bike rack and would like to be able to have this option. Any ideas or thoughts?

Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Team

It can be done, but you need to be sure that the hitch is securely attached to the trailer frame. A lot of the 4" square tube bumpers aren't strong enough to support the weight and will twist or break with the stress of the trailer motion while driving.
If it were me, I'd make sure that the receiver was bolted or welded directly to the trailer frame.
There are also a number of options for attaching a rack to front of the trailer as well.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Most bumpers on RVs weakness stems from thin metal, poor welds combined with unpainted inside of the tube. Carry a wet sewer hose inside and store your RV outside all year and eventually if you hang any weight on them and it acts like a lever and will flex the welds and fail. When I took delivery of my 210uds first thing was to paint the bumber inside and out. I donot store my sewer hose in it anymore. I made a 4" PVC pipe holder under the trailer. Bumber will last as I store it indoors aswell.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #4

Check your local or area laws firsts. Here you have to offset your hitch receiver to hold a bike rack. They do not want it centered so you can not tow another trailer behind the travel trailer.
bigsky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

Thank you all for the feedback and ideas!
Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #6

As an alternative to putting on a hitch at the back of the trailer, I have found that using a clamp on bike rack on the Tow Vehicle hitch works great. Below is the tread that I started discussing it.

http://www.funfinderclub.com/forums/...rack-3159.html

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote