Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #1

Default hot water heater

A previous poster lamented that he had ruined the heating element in his hot water heater. As a new owner of a 160 FBX, what do I need to ensure that this doesn't happen to us?

thanks, donnykris
2004 Nissan Pathfinder
Funfinder FBX 160

donkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #2

I'm a newbie myself and, although I haven't burned up my heating element, yet, I certainly have tried. I had the electric and gas on simultaneously during my initial outing. That didn't seem to do any damage, so I proceeded to a more serious screw-up by leaving the water heater on while my FF-189FDS was parked for two weeks. Luckily, I had shut off the gas and nothing serious happened (I think-I still have hot water). After that episode, I read the operating manual(bout time dontcha think) to see just what else I could screw-up. That's where I read that trips above 4,500 feet altitude requires a modification to the gas jetting. I paniced, but have been reassured by about a dozen of my fellow RV'ers on this forum and Good Sam that all will be well with no modifications.

All in all, the most important thing I've done to protect the water heater is to read the operating manual, and make a sticky note to turn the darn thing off when I'm not using it. That and MAKE SURE it's full of water when you turn it on.

Welcome aboard!!

Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Van

Default Re: hot water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkris
A previous poster lamented that he had ruined the heating element in his hot water heater. As a new owner of a 160 FBX, what do I need to ensure that this doesn't happen to us?

thanks, donnykris
2004 Nissan Pathfinder
Funfinder FBX 160

You can also burn up the element in your hot water heater if you leave the switch for electric setting turned on when there is no water in the tank and there is power to your trailer.

I am assuming of course that your model Fun Finder is like mine in that is has a dual setting hot water heater.

The switch is located on the exterior of the trailer, inside the hot water access panel.

This would only be a problem if you drain your water system entirely after each trip. Normally the hot water tank is going to retain water even when not hooked up to an outside source or the water pump is not on.

I only drain my hot water holding tank at the end of each season when i am winterizing my trailer and prepping it for storage.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Default Hot Water Tank

Just when I thought I had learned everything about hot water heaters but this thread confuses me. If there is an on/off switch on the access panel on the outside what is the purpose of the on/off switch on the inside? How do you determine if its set to use electric or propane?
FunFinder FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #5

Although I'm a newbie, here's what I think happens: the switch on the inside of my FF-189 ignites the propane burner for the hot water heater. The rocker switch inside the hot water access panel on the lower left is the off/on for the electrical heating element.
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #6

Default Hot Water Heater

Ok so if hooked to power turn on the hot water heater using the switch on the access panel and use the switch inside if running off of propane. That makes sense......
FunFinder FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #7

You can also turrn the power off at the elcetrical panel by triping the circuit breaker.

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #8

make sure you have water in the heater, turn off the a/c breaker.
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Van

Default Re: Hot Water Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFinder FL
Just when I thought I had learned everything about hot water heaters but this thread confuses me. If there is an on/off switch on the access panel on the outside what is the purpose of the on/off switch on the inside? How do you determine if its set to use electric or propane?

As mentioned, the switch inside ignites the propane heating element of the hot water tank. It will heat up the tank much more rapidly than the electric one. the two can work in conjunction with each other or you can use one of the other. The electric will help maintain heat over time and save your propane. That way the propane heater isnt always kicking on. Or, if you have plenty of time, just leave the propane switch off and let the electric element do all the work.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #10

To FunFinder FL
You either have propane only or electric and propane.
All 2009 and 2010 trailers come with propane as standard equipment. As an option you can get X-Fun Pack which includes the electric/propane water heater. The electric/propane water heater also comes as a individual option .
Check your electric panel and if you find a breaker marked water heater will indicate you have a electric/propane water heater.

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #11

Default Hot water heater

I am getting the fun finder 189x ready for a 4 day camping trip.
while charging up the battery,I checked and there is a little tag on the frame that says white wire - and black +. This color code is different since the brake wires change to red under the trailer.The tip off is the fuse,I have always seen the fuse on the plus side.

Then I checked my water heater and the model that I have is only gas,no 110. I also do not have a front window .
I never realized there is so many differences,in the fun finders
Just an observation
RWDIII
RWD lll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #12

Default battery polarity

You are correct, the fuse always connects to the positive terminal, on my X139 it is a green wire. The white wire is hooked to the negative battery terminal.
dmnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #13

The electric switch for ours is located on the bottom left corner of the outside access area. It has a cotter pin holding it in the off position.

Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH
Proudcanuck75 is offline   Reply With Quote