Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Hot water heater not working in LP

Hi! I have a 2008 160X and can not get the propane to light on gas.

The fridge and stove burner is working fine on LP, but when I flip the switch in the trailer, nothing happens. It doesn't light and I can't even hear the ignighter clicking. The breaker switch is on, the fuse is not blown (noticed there is a red led that comes on to indicate a blown fuse in the panel, that's handy!). There is water flowing through the tank. Tiny black electric switch is set to on (haven't touched this since we got the trailer 9 years ago).

Does anyone have any ideas what I could check or know the model number of this heater so I can try and find the manual?

Thank you!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
20200604_192658.jpg   20200604_192702.jpg   20200604_192713.jpg   20200607_102227.jpg  

Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #2

turn the black elec rocker switch to off, that may over ride or prevent the gas from working since its 2 different systems.

wishuwerehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #3

There is a black 'rubber' type cover just below the 'pop off' valve ....push on it as it covers a reset button.

Kinda of hidden but look and you will see it.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
There is a black 'rubber' type cover just below the 'pop off' valve ....push on it as it covers a reset button.

Kinda of hidden but look and you will see it.
It should be up above the black off/on rocker switch, the reset may also reset the igniter or the switch inside next to the orange on light.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #5

When you turn on the water heater switch at the control panel inside the trailer, does the switch light up?

If so, do you hear any propane flowing through the system when the switch is on? You should hear the flow of fuel. (If the igniter is not working, shut the switch right away, of course.). You may need two people for this test -- one to push the button inside the trailer, and the other stationed next to the water heater outside.

How long has it been since you last used this water heater on propane?
Old 06-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Team

That looks like a Suburban SW6DE which is the direct spark ignition model. Here's a link to the manual:
http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/Subu...ice_Manual.pdf
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
.....Tiny black electric switch is set to on (haven't touched this since we got the trailer 9 years ago).....

Something else you should think about: That black rocker switch turns the 110v heater system on/off. You should NEVER just leave it on all the time!!

If you are hooked up to shore power and that switch is on AND you haven't made sure the tank is full and all air pushed out, you will fry the 110 heating element within minutes.

And to another poster, the switch on/off does not effect the LP heating system. You can in fact have both running at the same time. Heats tank up much quicker with both on, then I turn LP off if we are hooked to shore power!

Not sure about the LP not firing. I blew out some dust & other debris from around the propane burner once when it wasn't firing. Other than that my propane WH has not caused problems. (10 yrs old).
Old 06-09-2020, 10:43 AM   #8

Personally - I've never removed the small hairpin lock on the little black switch to use the cold water heater on electric. I've always run on propane only.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Personally - I've never removed the small hairpin lock on the little black switch to use the cold water heater on electric. I've always run on propane only.
will the propane water heater work with only 1 of the 2 front tanks attached with the switch turned to the one left there.? Thinking about loosing some weight where not needed,,,
Old 06-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #10

One or two tanks shouldn't matter as the switch will only allow propane from one tank to flow at a time.
If you have two tanks and one goes empty, you switch to the full tank so only drawing from full tank as other is empty.

If still having issues and think it's a propane issue, most propane providers that sell bulk propane can check it out - probably better than an RV dealer...at least around here.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #11

From the manual for DE, (SWDE) models
Direct Spark Ignition - Read all safety information provided. Turn off all electrical power to the
appliance. Turn off gas supply and wait 5 minutes for gas to clear the area. Turn on gas and
electrical supply to the appliance. Turn switch to "ON" position, there will be a 15-second purge
before spark. If lockout occurs before main burner lights, turn switch to "OFF" position, wait 5
seconds and turn switch to "ON" position. This will restart the ignition cycle again. On the initial startup, it may require several ignition cycles to purge all the air from the gas lines
Old 06-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #12

May or maybe not helpful - after turning on the propane at the tank, I always turn on and light both burners on the kitchen range and let them burn a few minutes.

It seems to help purge air from the propane lines and the water heater fires up in less time.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #13

We had a similar problem with our gas refrigerator last year. Ended up being a blown inline fuse on the chimney temp sensor. They had it encased in shrink tubing so it wasn’t obvious.

Also, we have had spider nests in the line. Pull the Orifice and check for obstructions
Old 06-15-2020, 12:53 AM   #14

I had the same issue on my 2008 210 WBS. Turned out the module to make the spark had failed. In my trailer this module is located behind the water heater and can be accessed through the bottom of the side compartment. As I recall the part number was on the module and it cost about $100. Since I replaced the module it has been working fine.
RonCronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #15

Thank you, everyone, for your reply!!! Heading out to the trailer later this week with a battery and a propane tank to test out your suggestions.

I totally didn't realise that the black rubber pad was a reset switch!! Even though I can clearly see it in the pictures lol do I press the circle or the centre of the square pad?

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it goes. and yeah, I'll probably just turn the electric heater off so it doesn't drain the battery as 90% of our camping of off the grid.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I totally didn't realise that the black rubber pad was a reset switch!! Even though I can clearly see it in the pictures lol do I press the circle or the centre of the square pad?
Press the circle. It will be obvious when you look it at now that you know what you're looking for.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:13 AM   #17

Got it fixed!!, thank you everyone for your help! I hit the 2 reset buttons and it works now!

While I was in there I turned the electrical mode off so I don't burn the element out. I run 100% on propane.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Got it fixed!!, thank you everyone for your help! I hit the 2 reset buttons and it works now!

While I was in there I turned the electrical mode off so I don't burn the element out. I run 100% on propane.
Glad you are all good to go.

BTW - I have never used the electric mode on the water heater, have only ran it on propane and get along just fine.