Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #1

Default How did you seal gaps on your unit after you took delivery

Picking up a new 2014 189FDS on 11/8 then it is headed for storage. I've only owned popups and I was very careful to seal every thing with silicone underneath when I got it. Hoping when I take delivery they will have the unit indoors so I can crawl underneath and seal any gaps I see. what product have you all used to seal gaps in the underbody to prevent mice from entering? I really would like to be the first to use the camper, not a rodent. Any other helpful hints when I take delivery would be greatly appreciated. I can hardly wait.

bruce3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
uct

I am going to seal some gaps in mine ,I saw a new expanding foam at Home Depot that contains an ingredient that stops critters. It is not a poison or insecticide Good for up to 1 inch I think

uct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to shadow

check under layment for any tears or gaps tape and seal. check slide out seals easy places to get in on corners. Also seal under sink and in between bathroom and kitchen wall. check the a/c install, they use foil tape to seal interior sides from roof mount to inside, mine had big gaps and mice were going up through interior walls to a/c. they found the conduit guides in the walls,,mouse super highway. also check water tank and pump area, seal all those gaps.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

I use whatever is needed...Gorilla tape, plywood, foam board and I really like this stuff:

Exterior Rated Touch 'n Foam

I haven't seen the critter repelling foam, but, I'll have to take a look whenever I'm in the "big city" at a Home Depot (we live way out in the sticks)

along with:

No Rust Critter Block

As opposed to regular steel wool, this stuff won't rust or leave rust stains in its wake.

Use whatever is most applicable (you wouldn't want to use plywood to repair a gap in the fabric under the trailer, etc.). My only word of caution is to stay away from silicone. Silicone migrates and while it is good stuff for an initial repair, once the silicone is there it is darn near impossible to remove so that another application will stick in that area. That's why the stuff for RVs that the repair shops and manufacturers use doesn't contain silicone.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

Default Notes on foam

The expanding foam works great -- but when you get ready to spray it up from underneath your trailer, lay an old tarp on your driveway -- the foam will stick to the pavement and you can't get it up.

Wear excellent eye protection. Wear a tight fitting beanie over your head. Wear long neoprene gloves. Wear old clothes that you don't care about. Have plenty of rags handy.

Please don't ask me how I learned all of these great tips.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #6

Hey everyone, thanks for the helpful input. I'm going to check out that foam at Home Depot.

bruce3211 is offline   Reply With Quote