Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

Default How do I stop sink faucet leaking at base?

Hi, I have a 2009 FunFinderX 16. I have had it for 3 years and have it winterized/dewinterized and repairs at an RV service regularly. Now, my sink is leaking at the base of the faucet (and some water saturated a towel in cabinet under sink). I kept a towel wrapped around the base for the 5-day campout (both dry camping and RV camping on this trip). Went through a towel a day. I'm a single gal so I need help how to fix myself. I have a few wrenches on hand and white plumbers tape. Thanks!

CarolynJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

I've never fixed a faucet on my trailer, but I have fixed one in my house. My guess is that the leak is at the point where the cold water enters the faucet housing.

Before disassembling the faucet, get a thing called a basin wrench, which makes it possible for you to reach up from underneath and tighten that connection.

This is what the tool looks like -- the gripper at the end rotates on its "wrist" to wrap around the nut under the faucet:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Ba...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Good luck! And hopefully someone with first-hand experience with a trailer faucet will chime in and let us know whether the repair is similar to those in an ordinary house.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Site Team

It would help to have a little more info. Where is the water leaking out? Is it just under the sink? Or is it also leaking out onto the countertop from under the base of the faucet?

Also, all of the fittings will plastic unlike a house which are metal. A basin wrench might be a bit too aggressive for plastic fittings unless you're really careful you can crack or damage the fittings,
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #4

If it's leaking at the base of the faucet, I'd bet it's already cracked.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:55 PM   #5

Thank you all for your comments. Thanks Profdant139 for the pix of a basin wrench - I could use something like that at home! Most water is leaking on top of the kitchen sink faucet where the base of the facet screws the top piece to the bottom housing for the hot and cold water knobs. I saw a youtube video that it might be an o-ring in the faucet. I will go tomorrow where it is parked and take it off and take the o-ring to Home Depot and pick up some silicone grease as well. Will let you know how it goes.

About the leakage under the cabinet....maybe it is because water leaked between the backsplash and the top of the cabinet.... Will investigate that after I try a new o-ring.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #6

LJAZ, that's a good point about the basin wrench on plastic fittings. I am infamous in my household for using too much force on hardware that is not designed for it -- DW calls me "Twisto the Terrible."
Old 07-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #7

If you wipe away the moisture, does it return immediately, even with the faucet turned off? That would indicate whether the leak is before or after the valve(s). Does it drip under the sink all the time? We replaced both the kitchen and bathroom faucets on our 2015 210UDS with inexpensive (under $40 each), good quality, hi-arc faucets. Because they swing out of the way, they give us a lot more access to the sink. Don't let it discourage you. You'll figure it out. It's not rocket science.
jimplumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

Thanks Jimplumley, I'll keep that in mind. OK, update on what I did. First, here is the youtube link where I thought I'd start: . This video said it was usually the O-rings. My faucet is older kitchen type long bent spout, and the O-rings actually go on the metal spout, not inside the base as in the video. Took my spout to Home Depo and got 2 sizes of O-rings. The spout had 3 slots for 3 O-rings, but only 2 O-rings on the lower slots and a red plastic washer that was broke on the top slot. So I used 2 of the smaller O-rings in the lower and a bigger fatter one on the top where the red plastic once was. Turned on for a while and …. so far so good. I have a towel under the sink in the cabinet and next month when I go on my next trip I can have a few days to see if anything is coming out of the bottom as well.... If it is still leaking I may go get a new faucet as this one is 10 years old. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-12-2020, 02:44 PM   #9

My kitchen sink faucet started leaking some years back. There was a crack in the plastic. I went to Menards and picked up a replacement faucet nearly identical for around $30.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink, sink leak