Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

Default How do you like the factory mattress in yours?

Before taking it out for use, just from 'test' laying on the factory mattress in the XT276 ~ was rather uncomfortable.

So, added a Memory Foam topper to it thinking that would be OK.

Well, after sleeping on it ~ it's very uncomfortable. I'm thinking of taking it out and just using one of those 8" tall air mattresses.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #2

The only thing or caution I can think of is what I've heard from folks with Sleep Number beds, basically, dual chambered air beds.

Flat landers need to be aware of what happens to "blown up" items (air filled) when traversing high altitudes, well higher than what we're used to, when these items are taken over mountains in the west. They tend to explode or spring leaks. Less air pressure outside of the item creates less external pressure, essentially raising the pressure in the item, in this case the air mattress. Those with Sleep Number beds recommend "deflating" them prior to the climb, and then re-inflating them when at lower altitudes to prevent failures.

I thought about them (a Sleep Number bed), but, decided I didn't need the aggravation of having to worry about an air mattress and whether it would be in one piece or not. Fortunately, the wife and I are on the small side (I'm ~135 and she's not quite 100 lbs.) and we did OK on the mattress in our 210WBS (it was the "upgraded" mattress) and the mattress in our Cougar is identical to the one we have in our sticks and bricks, so, I just left well enough alone.

That's the only thing I might be concerned about with your desire for an air mattress, but, I don't have any first hand experience with them under those circumstances (high altitudes), just heresay and anecdotal references to the issue. I know there are lots of people using them and whether or not they have real issues or not is not in my catalog of trivia, maybe somebody on here has "real world" experience and can chime in.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #3

Yes, I see your point about the over inflation issue with changing altitudes.

The sleep number in my house going on 7+ years is the greatest. However, I'm not in favor of investing for one in the toy hauler due to the infrequent use it would receive.

Nevertheless, the factory mattress just doesn't cut it even with the addition of a memory foam topper ~ so looking for affordable alternatives.

Next try will be the 8" tall, flocked top air mattress that has been used when tenting it. It certainly won't take much to beat the factory mattress IMHO.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #4

ONLY one response on this topic so ........... everyone else must get along fine with the factory mattress
Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Yup, the mattress in mine is just fine. At least it is for me. Problem with mattresses is that there's a large component of personal preference. Some people swear by those foam mattresses. Personally I hate them. They do have them available for RV's though so if like the foam type it might be an option for you.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #6

Default matteress

I replaced mine in my xt 245. Double in front regular matteress. It was tight fit but made it. Queen I added a mattress topper not as comfy.
PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #7

I don't care for the matress in our 08 x210 at all. I am a heavy guy and can feel the inner springs in the matress. We bought a 4" memory foam today from WalMart and are going to give it a try. If it dosen't fit the bill we will probably end up with a sleep number. We have one in the house and it provides the best sleep I've ever had. Hope the memory foam does the trick so I can spend the $800-$1,000 on more toys.
Kansas City, MO
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.M
I don't care for the matress in our 08 x210 at all. I am a heavy guy and can feel the inner springs in the matress. We bought a 4" memory foam today from WalMart and are going to give it a try. If it dosen't fit the bill we will probably end up with a sleep number. We have one in the house and it provides the best sleep I've ever had. Hope the memory foam does the trick so I can spend the $800-$1,000 on more toys.
I did what you are doing and no help.

Also have the sleep number in the house and love it...especially after two back surgeries. It's the ONLY way to go.

I didn't want to spend a grand for one in the camper tho.

I'm going to try the air mattress we used when tenting it and see how that works. It slept good when tenting it. Now that we bought the camper (getting to old for the tent routine) I still want a good nights sleep in comfort. After all, comfort items is why we got the camper
Old 06-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
roy

Surprisingly the 276 short queen mattress up front worked well for us last week. All she added was a pillow top mattress cover to it and threw out the stock comforter and replaced it. She plans to order a nicer mattress soon. We have a full queen Serta memory foam mattress from our other camper we can't use in the 276. Sad since we only used the Serta a week total before trading it in. We kept the mattress thinking it would work in the back in the electric loft bed but that's a no go with the loft beds frame design.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

roy,
Why couldn't you use the standard size queen Serta mattress in your 276?

True -- the standard queen is about 6" longer but that little bit of 'overhang' at the foot wouldn't be a big deal I would think.

Or, one could add an 'extended support' at the foot of the bed.

The walk space at the foot of the bed is pretty much wasted space other than getting in/out of the bed if you are the one next to the wall.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
roy

My wife insisted she wanted a proper (expensive) short queen mattress for that bed. We are both fairly short her at 5'2" and me at 5'9" so the short queen is not a problem for us. The Serta is still leaning up against a wall in the house. Another waste of money but what do you do when the wife says do this do that lol. I had some friends offer to make us a box that would hold that Serta in the back loft bed support but she frowned at that idea.

We will probably make some bedding changes come winter when it's parked.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #12

Two sayings come to mind:

A. When momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy

or

B. Happy wife = happy life

Old 06-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #13

my 200XT now has a Sealy Posture pedic pillow top....... no crummy RV mattresses for me thanks!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #14

The one in our XT245 is OK, better than the old jack knife couch we used to use! BUT....I'm 6' 2" and so we stuffed some pillows down between mattress and wall to lengthen the effective length of mattress.

I will replace matress once I get over the cost of buying the trailer to begin with, with a normal good brand full queen mattress. It will over hang about 6" which isn't a big deal, top sheets might come undone at bottom again not a big deal. I may add a 2 foot extension to bed shelf etc to support this. I love the queen width, never had that in a RV before. Only worry I have is can I bend a real full queen around the corner on my XT245? It's not a straight shot.
bubbancolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbancolo
The one in our XT245 is OK, better than the old jack knife couch we used to use! BUT....I'm 6' 2" and so we stuffed some pillows down between mattress and wall to lengthen the effective length of mattress.

I will replace matress once I get over the cost of buying the trailer to begin with, with a normal good brand full queen mattress. It will over hang about 6" which isn't a big deal, top sheets might come undone at bottom again not a big deal. I may add a 2 foot extension to bed shelf etc to support this. I love the queen width, never had that in a RV before. Only worry I have is can I bend a real full queen around the corner on my XT245? It's not a straight shot.
A mattress will bend pretty easy. It is the box spring that won't due to the wood framework.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #16

UPDATE:
I checked on replacement RV mattresses and wasn't sold nor did I like the price.

Went to the local furniture store and bought a regular queen size Beautyrest mattress. It only overhangs the end of the platform about 3" which is no big deal and regular queen size sheets fit correctly.

Going out this weekend and 'test' the mattress. It has a 60 day trial period or can exchange it.

Really hard to make a selection just laying on one in the furniture store but far more comfortable (to me) than the factory mattress.