Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

Default How to build a dual e-bike holder for the front tongue?

Due to the COVID-19 restrictions we are stuck at home and have more time for planning. We have decided it would be good to spend the stimulus checks on a couple of e-bikes and have them for use here at the home and when we go on road trips. This has caused be to ponder where to best mount them. I have seen too many bikes bouncing down the road that are mounted to the flimsy rear 4" square tube bumper. On our last trip I parked next to a guy who confessed to having weld failures between the bumper and the frame. He had them rewelded and when I met him they had already cracked again.

I have looked at the bracket assemblies on Amazon which will support two bikes above the propane tanks but honestly I think it would be difficult for my wife and I to load and unload them so high in the air. And then there is the issue that the propane cover is not easily removed as it is blocked by the frame holding the bikes.

I have tentatively decided that the best location might be between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer. A little extra tongue weight would not hurt anything. Has anyone done this? The first mod would be to remove the dual battery compartments and replace the lead acid batteries with a single high capacity lithium cell mounted in the front storage area (out of the elements and out of sight).

Then I was thinking of welding or bolting two 4" wide channels across the A-frame of the tongue just longer than the length of the wheel base of the bicycles. Then I could roll the bikes into position having only to lift one wheel at a time and secure the wheels with straps to the U-channel. The bikes could be loaded with one front wheel on each side of the tongue. I could then rig up some type of support to stabilize the bikes from tipping too far forward or aft.

Any suggestions or criticisms would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 04-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #2

We carry our bikes between the truck and the trailer. But they are mounted on a rack that fits onto the drawbar, rather than onto the trailer. I got an extra long drawbar so that there is enough room for the bikes. The rack swings down for easy on and off.

We've had it for years -- I went online to see if I could find something similar to show you but came up empty.

You will want something very sturdy -- e-bikes are heavy, as you know. I agree that they would put a lot of stress on a trailer bumper.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #3

This link sort of shows how it is done -- the goal is to have enough room for the rack on the drawbar between the tow vehicle and the hitch ball:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/...-bar-installed
Old 04-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #4

Thanks, I had never seen anything like this before.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
APD

Some reading here:
https://electricbikereport.com/guide...acks-for-cars/

I had not realized ebikes were that heavy.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #6

Yeah, the Fat Tire ones by Rad Power we are considering seem to be in the 65-75lb range (each). Obviously the battery and front tire could be easily removed to lower the weight. This is one reason I would not want them dangling off the rear bumper.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
APD

What about a front receiver for the F250?
Could do double duty for tight spot camper parking....

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 04-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
APD

https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2003_Fo...Super+Duty.htm
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 04-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #9

Alan,
Thanks as I had not even considered putting them on the front. I guess the only disadvantage is that they would be coated in bugs unless I made some type of bug shield. One advantage would be I could transport them with or without the FunFinder connected.
Thanks!
Jimbo
Old 04-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #10

Very tempting to put the bikes in front of the truck. Better weight distribution, does not interfere with the tailgate or the trailer.

But I would worry about visibility. Note that very few folks carry bikes in front -- there must be a reason that this method is not popular??

Bug damage can be minimized --there are bike covers that will shield them from impact.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #11

Prof,
It is interesting how few bikes I can remember seeing on the front. Air flow to the radiator is always a concern. The other negative I can think of is overall length. With the 8ft bed my crewcab is already pushing 20ft.
Jimbo
Old 04-17-2020, 05:38 AM   #12

Although I don't haul bicycles, I've read time and again about folks trying to find a place to mount them.
Why not just put them inside the camper?
or
Why not just put them in the bed of the towing pickup?

Also have seen cars with a roof mount carrying two bicycles. The same mount could be used on a pickup roof cab maybe.

Just tossing out some thoughts.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #13
APD

Smile

There are pros and cons.
Bug guts is not fun. You may need a "love bug" screen as they call 'em in Florida.
If they could be inside they would be outta the weather.
Doesn't the F250 sit high enough to mitigate most of the visibility issues?
Being able to load and unload even while hitched would be nice. Some bike haulers even have a ramp to roll up onto the rack. Those bikes are heavy and any time you can avoid lifting them would be one less backache.
And the rack could be used on the rear hitch anytime is was convenient.
My2%

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 04-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #14

Stromberg Carlson makes a great looking bike rack that mounts to the trailers front A-frame and puts a receiver and includes a bike rack over the propane tanks. Not cheap, but things that work usually aren't. I bought the trailer tray and it is solid! I have two Honda EU2000i generators on it. But that might give you an idea. https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...-model-cc-275/

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote