Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #1

Default I Am A New Member of CruiserRV Is Garbage Club!

This 2015 189FDS is maybe 4-4 1/2 months old, right? Leak in slide - ruined a brand new laptop. Atwood fridge doesn't work, got new fridge; it, too failed.

Went out to the trailer for the first time today (6:00 PM - raining all day), and this is what I find...

What a piece of crap!

Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
roy

Wow! Sorry to see that. I learned at the beginning of the Cruiserv adventure to frequently climb on top of the roof and give it a thorough inspection. I've found a few things along the way that I've been able to avoid potential trouble. Get a fan in there and dry that thing up.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Default RESOLUTION (hopefully)

Dealership found a piece of sealant tape (which I believe he referred to as the eternabond stuff) that had not been sealed properly. It has been fixed and resealed and something else.

I did not put the thing in its new garage just now because it's raining and I want to see if the slide leaks!! But the garage is ready!

I also talked with management at Atwood today. I'll report on that under my Atwood fridge thread.

Today is looking better.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #4

Sounds like the frig problem is Atwoods screw up for not checking their subs production specs before sending out the frig to Cruiser RV.

It would be safe to the same frig model sent to various other RV firms also have the same deficiency.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

Default And The Issue Just Keep On Coming...

This trip alone:

1) slide seal came off

2) fridge failed again (after Atwood "fix" installed)

3) Dinette fell apart first time ever turning it into a bed...they had a few staples that went from plywood to tabletop by MAYBE only 1/4"!!) Pulled right out and I'm short and not very strong, so I was wiggling table, not jerking on it.

4) Water pump failed (hooked up to city water and my previously empty fresh water tank was now full and overflowing). Dealer said it was a check-valve failure.

Unbelievable! There really can't be much left that CAN go wrong, wouldn't you think??
Old 09-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #6

Sounds like it's non stop for you with issues , I went threw a few one right after another so I feel your pain . Makes you wonder how these trailer companies can stay in business , I think it's because they throw this junk together to look good , and it's until you start to use it , everything falls apart and fails to work !!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #7

I had the same problem with the dinette table. I assumed they just didn't use long enough screws to screw through the post mounts and into the second piece of wood.

I glued and screwed mine but if this is there standard, they need to change it REAL QUICK.

Could be we got some from the same table production run.
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #8

By the way, not to be a Cruiser RV apologist, but check valves and Fridges are component failures, not Crusier RV workmanship. All the components seem to be to be above average.

The table, now thats on Crusier RV.
Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #9

Default Hang in there!

Michelle -- very sorry to hear about all of this. You deserve better!! Might be time to lawyer up and kick these folks in the teeth -- either give you a new unit or else fix this one right, and right now. Your state probably has a lemon law that would apply -- there are all sorts of remedies available in such a situation.

Hang in there!!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #10

Not to make light of your issues, but, what you have experienced is quite common with every make of RV out there; whether the cheapest popup to the most outrageous Prevost; these are rather complicated boxes that are put together to hold "pieces parts" from literally hundreds of individual suppliers that are building to cheapest specs that they can produce and still make a profit. This is actually our fault since nobody wants to pay what a good RV would cost, but, I won't get started on that...

The minor stuff, and yes, the leak is actually minor, along with a failed check valve and even your refrigerator is normal for the RV experience. My Dometic refrigerator, in my one month old, very expensive, 5th wheel failed 3 days into a 4 month trip. We lived out of 5 coolers (it is a large refrigerator) for 3 weeks until we could stay in one spot long enough, and where there was someone who would do warranty work, and would do it on a mobile basis (completely replaced the guts of the Dometic at our campsite). I sympathize with you and understand the frustration, especially to have a replacement Atwood refrigerator also fail, but, all you can do is take everything as it comes, try to keep a smile and remember, after a couple of "successful" trips, the aggravations seem to fade a bit and you'll be amazed at all the wonderful things you will see and do while traveling in your home away from home. I won't go into all of the things that were "wrong" with my 5er when we took our first couple of trips, but, we persevered (I won't mention the freestanding dining table that fell over, ripped out of the floor, from a bad stretch of highway in IL, or the head board that extended in the bedroom slideout, leaving the bed in the trailer...) and we are enjoying reasonably carefree trips now...as you will, too.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #11

Don, I know you're right. It's just so frustrating seeing that you guys can fix most things that go wrong but I have to make the 120 mile trip to the dealer!

I keep repeating my friend's mantra, "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED".

Heck, when they get done, it'll be like I have a brand new trailer!!

As a side note (which I will post on the Helium Fridge thread), I blew the breaker at the post in an IL campground the other day. When I looked, the fridge had turned to gas!! So, when I left to return home yesterday, I flipped the breaker at the post (instead of pulling the power cord off the trailer) and VOILA - purring right along on gas!! Maybe it IS fixed. I remain quietly hopeful...

I'm anxious to see if hooking up to my house for a few days and then cutting power works, or if it forces a fail...(which wouldn't make any sense to me)
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #12

Sounds like your refrigerator is fixed; at least it is operating normally for the "automatic" operation. If AC is available (plugged in, breaker on), then is should be using the AC for cooling. When the AC goes away, then it should seamlessly switch over to gas. When AC, again, becomes available, it should also, seamlessly, switch off of gas and back to AC.

BTW; something, even a lot of longtime RVers don't know or do, when connecting or disconnecting from the pedestal:

1) If you test the pedestal for safety (and everyone should), this is the time to do it.
2) Plug your trailer into the AC cable
3) Make sure the breaker on the pedestal is OFF
4) Plug your cable in
5) Turn the breaker to the ON position.

When leaving, always, turn the breaker in the pedestal to OFF before unplugging (and you should unplug from the pedestal first, trailer last when leaving) and leave it that way after disconnecting your cable so that the next user comes into the site with the breaker OFF (just a courtesy). The lines in blue are the steps that, even longtime RVers, sometimes fail to follow.

Plugging in or unplugging a hot plug at the amperage that we're using, arcing occurs inside the plug between the plugs contacts and your cable's lugs...this, over time, degrades the connection which raises resistance in the connection leading to decreased current and speeding up the degradation process. When I had a 30 amp trailer (our beloved 210WBS) I always used a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter so that I could use the 50 amp plug...since it is used less the plugs are usually in better condition; cleaner power lower, less resistance, higher amperage.

Yes, I feel for you, the "single" lady on her own, when it comes to this sort of thing (I think my wife of 45 years only keeps me around because, in the long run, I'm cheaper than repair shops ) since many, even though perfectly capable are "trained" that they can't do the maintenance themselves, and it certainly isn't your fault, its just the way our society works. Whenever we are out on one of our trips, I always keep an eye out for the traveling single lady as I'm of the old school and don't mind in the least rescuing a "damsel in distress" if the need arises. I admire your tenacity in taking on the RVing experience and wish you all the luck in the world.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice, Don! (and everyone else...)

I know I have the ability to do many of the things that go wrong - I just lack the experience/knowledge and sometimes, the needed strength.

I've gotten pretty darn good at toilet guts and faucet leaks!! Thank goodness for YouTube videos!! They can be lifesavers!

So, I have the trailer plugged into the house now and will give it a few days before I unplug it from the outlet to see if the fridge continues to behave itself. Let's hope the frustrating days of Things-Gone-Wrong are on the decline...
Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
Heck, when they get done, it'll be like I have a brand new trailer!!
I would say a 2015 IS a brand new trailer.