Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Default I believe I have a bit of a leak....

Well I believe I have a bit of a leak on my 06 funfinder 189FD.... I did have an inspection done before I bought it, and they didn't mention anything about it, but I'm noticing some dark redish brown run off around one of the front side windows, inside and out. It had a bit of a smell (i'd have called it more chemically) when we looked at it, but the RV tech said it was just trailer smell, and needed airing out. I'm not sure how long it sat before we purchased it. The front overhead cabinets above the dinette have a musty smell in them as well....

Looking at the caulking up above the dinette area, there is some cracking and i could see where it possibly might be getting in between where the front meets the roof and right side.

So how bad is this? Is it as easy as just sealing it up? How can I insure I'm not trapping water in? Is there much concern about the water already in causing mould? Everything feels solid in and out, not a mushy feeling or anything. What steps should I do to fix the problem? I plan on going over all the seals and redoing either all of them, or where it looks like it is cracking.

Thanks!

Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #2

Default Newly purchased 06 funfinder 189FD

First question. Did you purchase it from a dealer? If so, take pictures and or videos. Some dealerships actually offer 30 to 90 day warranty on used rvs. Review your purchase documents. Even if you don't find a warranty in your documents, call your salesperson. Ask him if he would do a leak test. (a pressure test which fills the RV with air pressure and lets them see air bubbles on the outside of the RV where the leaks are. )
My two cents: Based on your description "Musty Smell", there is or was likely a leak. The worst case scenario is that you're on your own and have to deal with the issue yourself. Finding the source will allow you to dry and/or repair the area before sealing it up. You (or someone you trust) may need to go over the trailer (again) with a fine toothed comb for hairline cracks on the roof/sides/windows, ALL seals. Using the correct sealants/caulks is critical. There are many resources on the internet on how to leak test on your own. One option may include a garden hose and a second person to help find the source. Laying newspaper down inside the suspected areas will make water droplets easily visible when the hose sprays the exterior windows etc. Best of luck, hopefully you will get it resolved soon. Shannon
mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote