Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #1

Default I hope I didn't do too much damage

Today was not my day.

First, my SUV battery died. Not my fault.

Then, I got my routine screwed up and forgot to release the stablizer jacks BEFORE I hitched. Then, the hitch thing that swivels down and you lock with a pin wouldn't go down. The trailer was too high because the stablizer jacks prevented the trailer from coming down.

So the stablizer jacks were holding the weight of the trailer; something they weren't meant to do.

Will this harm either the stablizer jacks or the trailer? Luckily, the stablizer jacks aren't used for safety, so maybe I'm okay. I just don't want a wabbly trailer on my next trip and have to replace a stablizer jack or two.

Then, when I pulled out, the trailer wheels locked. I drove about 8-10 feet before I noticed in my rear view mirror that the trailer was being dragged and its tires were not rotating.

The breakaway switch had come out.

I stuck it back i, and problem solved.

How much could the tires be damaged by being dragged 8-10 feet? I can check the treads when it's light tomorrow. Luckily, the campsite was DIRT. And there was a long slots in the dirt, so the dirt was a few inches deep.

It was NOT my day!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Check your stabilizer jacks to see if they are bent. If not, you probably didn't do any damage to them. And if you dragged your tires for a few feet on dirt, I doubt you did any damage there either. Just chalk it up to experience.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote